Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
One of the weak links in the NAG1 design is the parking pawl...

The transmission was designed for an AMG 55 Mercedes.

It was always suspected the weak parking pawl was the reason the early Grand Cherokee SRT8 had a 3500 lbs. tow rating.. the parking pawl isn't designed to hold a trailer in park on an incline with or without the parking brake set.

My guess is that pawl snapped.

If most people could see the parking pawl in most automatics transmissions they would wonder how it holds the car in park. I see guys with lifted trucks pulling boats and race trailers and do not use the park brake. Surprised more do not roll away.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Your 2015 SRT8 doesn't have the NAG1...

Got it, thanks. I'm a parking adamant about using the parking brake in all my vehicles anyhow. My husband doesn't always set it when he drives my JKU and if I'm wirh him I reach over and set it, lol
He's learning!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Go to the NHTSA and fill this out. I haven't heard of wide-spread issues, but there are over 1 million JK's on the road and the only way to find out if there is a systematic problem is to report.

If they start seeing recurring complaints then they will investigate. It's very possible that in any production of so many vehicles, you are going to get the odd strange defect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Go to the NHTSA and fill this out. I haven't heard of wide-spread issues, but there are over 1 million JK's on the road and the only way to find out if there is a systematic problem is to report.

If they start seeing recurring complaints then they will investigate. It's very possible that in any production of so many vehicles, you are going to get the odd strange defect.
I filled out the info on NHTSA and when I called the Jeep Customer Care number they created a file/claim and Chrysler set out an inspector to investigate. They inspected the Jeep and got the "black box" data. They said it would take about 3-4 weeks before I hear anything from Chrysler.

I will be sure to let everyone know what I find out, if anything, from Chrysler.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I filled out the info on NHTSA and when I called the Jeep Customer Care number they created a file/claim and Chrysler set out an inspector to investigate. They inspected the Jeep and got the "black box" data. They said it would take about 3-4 weeks before I hear anything from Chrysler.

I will be sure to let everyone know what I find out, if anything, from Chrysler.
Hoping this works out well for you. I can't imagine how anxious you must feel. :pullinghair:

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
Good luck, hoping for a positive outcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hopefully not just fishing here. Possible that after parking the Jeep the transfer case was bumped into neutral.

The response to this reply missed the point.

There was no doubt my jeep was in park. You can not remove the keys from the ignition unless it is in park, and the keys were out. My fiance had to use the keys to unlock it to get back in when they removed it from the roadway it fell into.

Other_Erik has a valid question. The TRANSMISSION could be in Park (and if the keys were indeed removed it most definitely was) and the TRANSFER CASE in neutral and this event could occur. By just saying the Jeep was in Park does not address the whether the transfer case was in neutral.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The response to this reply missed the point.

Other_Erik has a valid question. The TRANSMISSION could be in Park (and if the keys were indeed removed it most definitely was) and the TRANSFER CASE in neutral and this event could occur. By just saying the Jeep was in Park does not address the whether the transfer case was in neutral.
Not impossible but very hard to believe - when you think about it, because you have to go through 4H first, before going to N in the transfer case. And it's not a straight down pull to get in to N - you have to move transfer case lever to the right - before going down to get in to 4L.

Still - interesting question.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Still - interesting question.
I prefer the Socratic method of problem solving - answer a question with a question. IE:

Why did my Jeep roll away?
Did you Set the parking brake?
Yes, but I still don't know why it rolled away?
Is it possible the transfer case got bumped into neutral _OR_ possibly between 2H and 4H? (I'm not sure if that would cause this problem, but never discount anything that's not Impossible)

O_E

·
Premium Member
9,835 Posts
I prefer the Socratic method of problem solving - answer a question with a question. IE:

Why did my Jeep roll away?
Did you Set the parking brake?
Yes, but I still don't know why it rolled away?
Is it possible the transfer case got bumped into neutral _OR_ possibly between 2H and 4H? (I'm not sure if that would cause this problem, but never discount anything that's not Impossible)

O_E
Need problem statement
Need data, trends
Pareto where problem occurred
Pareto causes
Ask 5 Why's
Find root cause
Implement countermeasure

Hell, forget 5 Why's and root cause, I'm still waiting to see pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not impossible but very hard to believe - when you think about it, because you have to go through 4H first, before going to N in the transfer case.

It hasn't been established whether it was in 2H or 4H when parked but, I do agree, it is hard to believe this is the situation.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Transmissions are not meant to hold the vehicle from rolling while parked, regardless of the tranny type (manual or auto). Surprised how many do not use the parking brake. It is there for a reason folks.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts