Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. Just bought a 2013 JK unlimited, want to get back into some exploring and weekend fun. Nothing serious, easy trails close to Denver. Years ago, I went through Needle Eye tunnel on Rollins Pass / Carona Pass. Not long after, it was closed. Can you still drive up to it from Rollinsville side?

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
You can get to it but it remains closed shortly after Yanky Doodle Lake. rough ride but pretty. They remade Jenny creek to divert out of the creek, I haven't been up there in a few years myself so I am not sure what that looks like now.

Reactions: coloradojeeping

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Tom51,

As far as I know the Needles Eye tunnel is still blocked off. @Colo-TJ states what I think is the case with Jenny Creek. I did Jenny Creek on my RZR a few years ago when you still drove through the creek. That was a hoot, but I hear that now they changed the trail to stay out of the creek.
There's some scuttlebutt about opening the tunnel, but I haven't heard anything concrete. I suppose a person could check with the BLM or Forest Service or whomever runs that area.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, the road is still travelled by full-sized vehicles. Your comment brings up a point that ATVs dominate a lot of trails I used to do. I headed up Hayden Pass a few years ago in my 3500 pickup and was really in the way for all of the other traffic - all ATVs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully, the road is still travelled by full-sized vehicles. Your comment brings up a point that ATVs dominate a lot of trails I used to do. I headed up Hayden Pass a few years ago in my 3500 pickup and was really in the way for all of the other traffic - all ATVs.
Not sure how far you will get this time of the year.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,692 Posts
The trail is probably snow-packed at this point. I'd just stick with rainbow falls and some bits of Switzerland.

-Julia

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
34 Posts
Switzerland is pretty dry right now. Some snow/ice but nothing you couldn't do on street tires. I was up there last week and there were a number of Lexus 470's on the trail all stock except for the RTT and Youtube channel stickers :)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I went up there probably 5 years ago.It was gorgeous, I am also certain that I saw a wolf on the trail too, just above the lake and before the tunnel. I wasnt able to grab a picture as it crossed the road just as I was cresting a hill. I've got a ton of coyotes at my house too and this sure didnt look like a coyote. It was windy and the wind was blowing in my favor, I dont think he heard me until right as I crested the hill and he bolted off into the trees

1 - 8 of 8 Posts