Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to rig up my 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2-door to carry a kayak. Apparently Thule crossbars won't work since they need to be 20" apart and I guess there isn't enough room. Anybody have another suggestion? Yakima seems to have the same problem. Any others, like Garvin? Don't know much about Garvin though.

Ideally I'd like a kayak on top, and I'd also like to eventually look into adding better bumpers, LED lights, and a place to store a hi-lift jack and axe. Maybe a winch under the front bumper too.

Boise doesn't have many credible aftermarket jeep/truck shops, so I'm a little befuddled... thanks for any suggestions, especially for the kayak roof mount.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm trying to rig up my 2014 Jeep Wrangler 2-door to carry a kayak. Apparently Thule crossbars won't work since they need to be 20" apart and I guess there isn't enough room. Anybody have another suggestion? Yakima seems to have the same problem. Any others, like Garvin? Don't know much about Garvin though.

Ideally I'd like a kayak on top, and I'd also like to eventually look into adding better bumpers, LED lights, and a place to store a hi-lift jack and axe. Maybe a winch under the front bumper too.

Boise doesn't have many credible aftermarket jeep/truck shops, so I'm a little befuddled... thanks for any suggestions, especially for the kayak roof mount.

Thanks,
Brian
Check out "artificial rain gutters". You will be able to install them near the rear of the hard top and then use rain gutter mounts by Yakima or Thule. Since I have a 4 door, I do not need the artificial gutters but do use the rain gutter system. In windy areas like ours, it is a benefit to be able to take the complete unit off the jeep when not needed so wind resistance/noise is reduced. It only takes 5 minutes to mount or remove both units with the rain gutter system. Others have gone to mounts on top of the hard top and just drill holes up there as needed, but in my mind, it is more difficult to remove the bars, etc when not in use.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Thanks,
Brian

I use the Thule gutter foot pack 300 probably the same one you are talking about. I made a thread not to long ago "Any kayakers out there?". In it some people have great pics of what they use and also some short write ups especially or 2 doors. I realize that the 2 doors are at bait of a disadvantage because of the shorter drip edge. But tightly securing the kayak down would eliminate any movement. I know that its not ideal for fastening but if done right the yak won't go anywhere. How long is your kayak?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I recommend Gobi. The price isn't cheap but the product is the top of the line and is made in the U.S.A.. Also heavily accessorizable and if you order directly through Gobi you can get free accessories. Comes with a free ladder too. And if it means anything, I plan on getting myself a kayak this year that will fit perfectly on my Gobi rack:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I recommend Gobi. The price isn't cheap but the product is the top of the line and is made in the U.S.A.. Also heavily accessorizable and if you order directly through Gobi you can get free accessories. Comes with a free ladder too. And if it means anything, I plan on getting myself a kayak this year that will fit perfectly on my Gobi rack:)
This ^^^^^. I did months of research and procrastinating and finally settled on what I knew all along. The Gobi is just about the best out there.

I have had one on order for over a month, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival so that I can load it up for the next adventure and put the canoe and/or kayak on top.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
This ^^^^^. I did months of research and procrastinating and finally settled on what I knew all along. The Gobi is just about the best out there.

I have had one on order for over a month, and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival so that I can load it up for the next adventure and put the canoe and/or kayak on top.
Hopefully your installation goes easier than mine. I had to do some trimming and Gobi had to make some special brackets for no cost:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts