Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of ordering the Gobi Stealth Roof Rack (unless someone has a better suggestion), and I am debating if I should also replace the stock rear bumper or not, and if so I have narrowed it down to between AEV and Rock Hard (I installed rock hard front bumper which I really like).

I am still driving with the Stock tires, and I am not really planning on lifting the JK and adding bigger tires just now. I rather spend the money on Racks (and roof top tent) and possibly rear bumper.

Anyway, I don't know if its best to replace the rear bumper (I have narrowed it down to AEV or Rock Hard) before I install the Roof Rack.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What are you wanting to get out of your roof rack? Rhino Rack is an interesting one out there. Has a frame that mounts inside the hardtop to support the load on the roof. Gotta drill the hard top though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Gobi seems like a really noisy rack, though I do like the size and bolt on nature of it. I do way too much freeway driving for it though.

I got to check out the Rhino rack this weekend, and I really liked it. It does require drilling some holes in the hard top, but once it's mounted, you can take the top off by undoing the same bolts as the stock top. It just becomes a permanent add-on to the top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was trying to avoid the drilling to avoid leaks and what have you. I intend to install the rooftop tent at times, or set up a Thule storage on top.

Another idea is just to install a devise/bars to hook up a Thule but the rooftop tent is a pretty appealing idea

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The Gobi seems like a really noisy rack, though I do like the size and bolt on nature of it. I do way too much freeway driving for it though.

I got to check out the Rhino rack this weekend, and I really liked it. It does require drilling some holes in the hard top, but once it's mounted, you can take the top off by undoing the same bolts as the stock top. It just becomes a permanent add-on to the top.

I'm right there with you. Here is a pic of my rhino rack with just the base pads showing on the front two mounts and the cross bar mount on the rear:

The low profile aspect of this system is what I love. No added height on the hard top. I plan to add a roof top tent as well as options for bikes and kayaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cummins, looks nice. I was c checking their website...and I just noticed the low profile which helps in the city and parking garages due to height.

Did you install it yourself? how hard was it? I am not super handy when it comes to these things :) Do you do anything to seal after installation to avoid leaking?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I love the quality of my rear metalcloak full width 72" frame built bumper,it's really stout/masculine/factory look/indestructible design and hand made in America finish is second to none in my opinion.can you buy metalcloak off amazon?....no and there is a reason for it,no fake mark up on a made in America product(you get what you pay for).its quality in person is much better than I thought when I ordered it(I mostly liked the clean lines when I ordered it originally and heard about the superior
powder coating).installation was quick and simple,I will be getting a metalcloak front bumper next.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you tell me which model is this? I see the Vortex, and then there is a heavy duty one... And then there is a 3 bar one ( can't tell if 2 bar or 3 bar is the right way to go). Will the three bar prevent you from removing the roof from the driver and passenger side?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Cummins, looks nice. I was c checking their website...and I just noticed the low profile which helps in the city and parking garages due to height.

Did you install it yourself? how hard was it? I am not super handy when it comes to these things :) Do you do anything to seal after installation to avoid leaking?

One of the main reasons for my choice. I'm lifted on 35s and I needed to still fit in my parking garage for work so low profile was a must.

I did it myself, it's not difficult, you just want to take your time when laying out the base pads to mark for drilling. Use a small bit and step up larger. I didn't do anything extra for waterproofing besides the included adhesive foam weather strips. Haven't noticed any leaks yet, but it hasn't been on long. And my hard top is currently off and a bikini top is on.

I really recommend it though. It takes a little courage to drill into the hard top but it was totally worth it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have the Gobi Stealth rack on our JKU. I use the truck as a DD and work vehicle. Does most of it miles on parkways and expressways. Really don't notice it is even on the truck and I cruise 70 mph. The KM2's or an open window make more noise than this rack. I do keep the hardtop on so cannot compare it to top down or rag top but I believe that would also contribute to road noise. YMMV but I would not consider noise to be a deal breaker for me as much as punching a few holes in the top would.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,665 Posts
Consider to since you are not keen on mounting or drilling into the roof, you may not be keen on mounting to the body, which is where many of the exterior frame units mount in the back. This is the Gobi Stealth.

Here it is with the AEV bumper I have, showing how to properly mount it.

http://drivingline.prd.s3.amazonaws.com/media/articleimages/2015/08/2007-Jeep-Wrangler-unlimited-rubicon-smittybilt-src-roof-rack-6.jpg

Another option is to mount it to the frame in the rear, but you will need an A/M bumper that will allow for that clearance or drill a large diameter hole in the OEM bumper to allow the 1.5" tube to pass through to the frame. This is the Body Armor frame.

Another option is a mount to the rear hinges and the rain gutters. Can't put a tent on this, but a cargo box works out fine. Smittybilt 45454 Defender Roof Rack

Of course there are less expensive versions from Thule, Yakima and others. Simplicity and flexibility for cargo boxes, kayaks, etc.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Teraflex Nebo....if you like the style. Mounts through the top to the sport bar. Lots of o rings and seals and we haven't had a leak yet and it sat outside for almost a year through a bunch of pretty good storms.

Low profile for sure. I fit under our 7 foot door, with 35's and a 3.5" lift. you can also lift the top off with it. Mine is hanging in the garage by the rack right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Teraflex Nebo
Are you happy with the Teraflex? I was thinking about it as a way to mount my Tepui. Don't want to drop $1600 on a Gobi and I like the somewhat lower profile of the Teraflex (and now maybe the Rhino rack)

Think there's a way to mount the bar system without the hard top on? Most of my Jeep camping is in the summer, so no hard top. I'd love to be able to skip the drilling and just go straight to the rack.

Sorry for the semi hijack but thought it was semi relevant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I like Gobi Stealth, I am leaning more on the Rhino Backbone. I think i can buy its and have it installed for around $1200. Found a somewhat local outfit that said they would install it for about $200. The Rhino bars serves my purpose of low profile, cargo box on top, or roof top tent....though the Gobi looks pretty cool. If they didn't take 6 weeks to ship, i probably would have bought them buy now...another reason I am leaning on Rhino. Rhino gets pretty expensive once you add the platform...they run around $1500.

I am trying to reach someone at ARB and Tepui to see of Rhino bars (without the platform) are sufficient to install their tent.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,665 Posts
I just didn't see the justification with the Nebo. Its expensive for the much less engineering that went into it. Fit and finish looks nice, but not feeling that pricepoint.

I didn't go with a Garvin becasue, well, I have size 14 feet and ladders in that scenario are meant for midgets. Or vertically challenged folks anyway.

I like the Rhino the most, but it was overkill for my particular use. I'd never slide it out and would never max the capacity. I couldn't sleep in a tent top cuz, well, I weigh 320lbs. Every move I would make would send the Jeep into death wobble I am afraid.

I ordered the Shittybilt that mounts to the gutters and hinges. Had it customized with extra tabs for lights, AEV brackets for shovel and hi-lift, 5 gallon fuel/water canisters. Had it Line-X'd and it looks like it will work perfect for our winter excursions. The steps on the corners of the AEV bumper are perfect for me to stand on. I also got the 5 gallon water pump set up for it too.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Are you happy with the Teraflex? I was thinking about it as a way to mount my Tepui. Don't want to drop $1600 on a Gobi and I like the somewhat lower profile of the Teraflex (and now maybe the Rhino rack)

Think there's a way to mount the bar system without the hard top on? Most of my Jeep camping is in the summer, so no hard top. I'd love to be able to skip the drilling and just go straight to the rack.

Sorry for the semi hijack but thought it was semi relevant.
Very happy. Almost invisible from the ground.

I mount my CVT McKinley up there. No problems

The roof rack hard mounts stay on the sport rack. I have been thinking about fabbing a set of simple crossbars using the mounting holes from the Nebo mounts just for running without the roof. It would be very simple and easy. Total for materials(already purchased for another project) about $25.

Actually the NEBO is very cheap for what you get @USStrongman. You can buy the crossbars individually(from Quadratec) so I only have about $700 in mine and if you get the silver finish it is cheaper (I guess black anodizing is more expensive????). It is rated at 800 lbs static, so with your 320 and the 165 lb tent, way under the limit....:) The bars very well engineered to me. One example: Templates are not photocopied. They are printed on a color plotter, and, after I had them laid out, they were on the money dimensionally, with NO measuring(of course I did to spot check)I made no adjustments to the layout.

They even include the assembly tools, including a ratcheting combination wrench.

I did have to fab the mounting brackets as the CVT werent wide enough. the nebo crossbars are approx 5" wide and have two tracks for blind nuts.

Here I go sounding like a teraflex commercial.....lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very happy. Almost invisible from the ground.

I mount my CVT McKinley up there. No problems

The roof rack hard mounts stay on the sport rack. I have been thinking about fabbing a set of simple crossbars using the mounting holes from the Nebo mounts just for running without the roof. It would be very simple and easy. Total for materials(already purchased for another project) about $25.

Actually the NEBO is very cheap for what you get @USStrongman. You can buy the crossbars individually(from Quadratec) so I only have about $700 in mine and if you get the silver finish it is cheaper (I guess black anodizing is more expensive????). It is rated at 800 lbs static, so with your 320 and the 165 lb tent, way under the limit....:) The bars very well engineered to me. One example: Templates are not photocopied. They are printed on a color plotter, and, after I had them laid out, they were on the money dimensionally, with NO measuring(of course I did to spot check)I made no adjustments to the layout.

They even include the assembly tools, including a ratcheting combination wrench.

I did have to fab the mounting brackets as the CVT werent wide enough. the nebo crossbars are approx 5" wide and have two tracks for blind nuts.

Here I go sounding like a teraflex commercial.....lol.

Awesome review.

How many crossbars did you buy to support the CVT?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Awesome review.

How many crossbars did you buy to support the CVT?
Just two...more than enough. If you mount the tent with the mount rails running the width of the jeep you wouldn't even need crossbars, but I didn't think it looked very clean.

The slats are very low profile so I fabbed up a couple of spacers out of HDPE (1/2" marine starboard left over from another, non jeep related project). this lets the bottom of the tent not rub on the rails. See attached. On the CVT the bolts are a bit long. I was going to trim but also mount the tent on a trailer so they would have been too short for that.

I think you can flip the rails so they sit higher, FWIW.

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,665 Posts
Not taking anything away from the TeraFlex at all. Clean, tidy and that usually the way I like things... but I would need all of the slats available for all of the stuff I am doing and that drove the cost to 55% more than my total cost for what I wound up with. Mine is not perfect... hell, its a Shittybilt, but it came closest to meeting my needs and at a reasonable pricepoint. If I had my way, I would have my own built to spec.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts