Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a Thule roof rack attached to the JL roof rain gutters. Has anyone hoisted the hard top off their Jeep by lifting it off by connecting the hoist to the roof rack bars at the four ends?
The hard top without the freedom panels is 100lbs, so that would indicate there would be ~25 lbs of pressure at each rain rail connection, but upward.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I've never thought of doing that. First thought would be don't do it since your top would be supported by the rain gutters which seems to be a weak point, but I have to think they're designed to hold a decent amount of weight because of the roof rack options. Let me know if you do it and it works! I don't know how much it would save you instead of just running straps or hooks through the inside of the top though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have you looked at the Racor hoist and Topsy brackets? I’m really happy with mine:

It’s a pretty straightforward install, it’s super easy to use, and you could easily make this work with your rack rails in place.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just curious if lifting from the roof rack connections to the roof rails would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I don't think the rain gutters will hold up to that weight. I would run a straps under the roof and lift that way. IMHO

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
How about with something like the RhinoRack Backbone? I would assume that you could lift THAT by the rack, right?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
How about with something like the RhinoRack Backbone? I would assume that you could lift THAT by the rack, right?
Wasn't the rhino rack the one where they lifted the entire jeep off the ground? I know the Teraflex nabob rack can be used to lift the top off, but it spreads the load over a larger area in each corner.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I just like the Backbone because it lets you carry a decent load, but you can still take the roof off easily. (The similar Maximus-3 product bolts to the roll bars, so it seems like it would be harder to take off.) So if I could just wrap a strap around the roof rack to lift it off the jeep, even better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Did anyone ever try this?

I have the Rhino Rack tracks that bolt through the hardtop with the removable bar and legs that lock onto the track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts