Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Wrangler owner here, and I am moving off for college in less than a couple of weeks. It should be known that am making my transition to a Jeep from an F150. That being said, I have to purchase a mattress and box springs while up there. With my Unlimited, I know I cannot just put the mattress on top without damaging the hardtop. The manual warns against it, and common sense dictates. So, already being in for college and a new Jeep, I am not trying to spend 500 or more dollars just on something that I cannot guarantee I will use frequently. Are there any cheap alternatives other than Craigslist or a trailer (oddly enough I have been hard pressed to find what I am looking for in my area) that someone in a similar predicament took advantage of? Also, the mattress is more than likely going to be a full at the largest, most likely it will be a twin. Another key piece of information is that I am buying this local and will not be reaching above 35 mph. Thank you for taking the time to read!

·
Registered
325 Posts
not trying to be a smart ***, but is taking the roof off an option? That is what I'd look at

·
Registered
33 Posts
I moved a full mattresss and box spring on my unlimited hard top. I put down a heavy blanket then the mattress then the box spring. Then then strapped it down real well (left to right, and front to back) to the hardtop/roll bars. I drove on the interstate for a little over an hour and it didn't budge. And more importantly there was no damage to the hardtop. I personally wouldn't bother with purchasing a roof rack if this is the only driving factor.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Also, the hard top is rated for environmental (snow and such) loads and wet snow can easily outweigh a full size mattress so you shouldn't have any problems as long as it's tied down.

Save your money for mods that you will use or for school.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone, that was extremely fast response time lol taking off the top completely is what I considered, but I have yet to take it off so far (its been a raining off and on for the past week) Ill consider it if weather permits, but I just want to be absolutely sure that I will not damage the vehicle lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts