Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with the 3 piece hardtop. What types of roof racks are available for my rig? I need something that will carry an Oldtown Discovery canoe.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just like everything else with Jeep, there are a number of options, it will ultimately come down to what works best for your situation and what looks best to you.

I've got the Garvin Industries expedition rack installed on mine. The way I've got mine setup I can't remove the top (wires to compressor running through the rack frame into the engine compartment) which is not a big deal for me.

Jeep Cargo & Sport Racks - Quadratec

Garvin Wilderness Racks

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are a LOT of threads about roof racks in these forums. Try a search. But, to get you started:

For those of you looking for a simple roof rack installation for one or two kayaks/canoes, this is the way I chose to do it. It works beautifully, requiring lifting the kayak only to waist level. Much better that trying to get it all the way to roof level.

Basic Thule rack & crossbars with the mounts attached for the Hullavator:

Hullavator mount close-up attached to cross bar:

Hullavator attached to mounts:

Inside thumb mounts, 6 on each side. One is hidden by roll bar:

Kayak loaded on driver side, ready to be lifted into position. Very simple to do:

View from front. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

View from rear. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

Overall installation from the side:

Overall Installation from the rear:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also went with a Thule Track system. It gives you a solid base for mounting most types of Thule feet and cross bars:

Thule - TP54 54" Tracks with Flare-Nut fastners

If you're planning on loading up your rack with a lot of weight, check out the Roof Rack System by MBRP. It's a more permanent installation that requires more drilling. It's also significantly more expensive......

Off Camber Fabrications by MBRP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Would that rack void any warranty on the hard top due to drilling through it?

There are a LOT of threads about roof racks in these forums. Try a search. But, to get you started:

For those of you looking for a simple roof rack installation for one or two kayaks/canoes, this is the way I chose to do it. It works beautifully, requiring lifting the kayak only to waist level. Much better that trying to get it all the way to roof level.

Basic Thule rack & crossbars with the mounts attached for the Hullavator:

Hullavator mount close-up attached to cross bar:

Hullavator attached to mounts:

Inside thumb mounts, 6 on each side. One is hidden by roll bar:

Kayak loaded on driver side, ready to be lifted into position. Very simple to do:

View from front. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

View from rear. 4" clearance from fenders when loaded:

Overall installation from the side:

Overall Installation from the rear:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Would that rack void any warranty on the hard top due to drilling through it?
I can't answer that, but I'm not sure what concerns there would be where warranty would be an issue. Certainly, if you overload the rack you may create problems and Jeep would not have any responsibility to do anything about that. As for possible leaks not due to holes in the roof put there by us, I would think it would be covered. I didn't consider it an issue for me. If it's a concern for you, I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't answer that, but I'm not sure what concerns there would be where warranty would be an issue. Certainly, if you overload the rack you may create problems and Jeep would not have any responsibility to do anything about that. As for possible leaks not due to holes in the roof put there by us, I would think it would be covered. I didn't consider it an issue for me. If it's a concern for you, I wouldn't do it.

Thanks. I ended up calling my dealership and they told me it would void the warranty on anything associated with the top. That sucks cause I really like that rack (ease of install and ease of use).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts