Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are new to Jeeps. We just bought a 1999 Sport 4.0 automatic with 31 10.5's but the rest is stock. We would like to know if the places listed here have trail riding that would not be to technical for beginners. I worry about getting on a trail that has some harder terrain that we would be forced to navigate. It would be nice to go somewhere that had some areas to play on that you pick what you want to try. Are there places like that? We live in Brownsville and spend a lot of time up in the hills by Shotgun driving on the logging roads up there but would like to try some mild off road.

Thanks

Mike :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to the club Mike...I also live in Oregon.Redmond Oregon that is.Its in the central part next to Bend. Right now I think the only place to go wheelin would be in central part of the state,due to the snow in the mountains and all.We have lots of open areas out here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
castorj29 said:
Welcome to the club Mike...I also live in Oregon.Redmond Oregon that is.Its in the central part next to Bend. Right now I think the only place to go wheelin would be in central part of the state,due to the snow in the mountains and all.We have lots of open areas out here.
I have a nice GPS, do you have any areas you would recommend for newbies? I will add them to my waypoints?
Do they have any 4x4 stores over there? I am really wanting to see some upgrades for the Jeep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we are going to play at sand lake on new years day

I posted this question in one of the other posts.
Are there trails to explore or is it just dunes.
My Jeep is stock and I am not sure how it does in sand.

Mike

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you want to just get out play around with your jeep.Central Oregon has lots of trails that are flat and easy.Most roads are a little sandy with juniper tress along the trails. Most of the areas are BLM land. You can drive for miles and miles. I am sure the mountains are out of the question this time of year. There are some nice trails over by the Redmond/Bend airport that are fun. Have seen lots of wild horses in the area.

·
Registered
802 Posts
we are going to play at sand lake on new years day
We were going to stay at Cape Kiwanda RV (towing Jeep) over Thanksgiving and take the Jeep to Sand Lake (4 miles away) but the weather was just too crummy.........Still looking to get there soon.....:redface:

·
Registered
802 Posts
I posted this question in one of the other posts.
Are there trails to explore or is it just dunes.
My Jeep is stock and I am not sure how it does in sand.

Mike
You'll be fine in most of the sand. I havent taken my Jeep to the dunes yet but plan to....I used to take my old stock Power Wagon and did just fine.......Go to youtube and search for "sand lake" videos.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Anyone go to Snow Peak near Lebanon-Lacomb-Sweet Home?? Used to got there about 20 yrs ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone go to Snow Peak near Lebanon-Lacomb-Sweet Home?? Used to got there about 20 yrs ago.
A friend of mine just mentioned that place last night. He said a guy at his work knows a good way to get there that has no gates. He is supposed to check with him and let me know where that is.

I have been exploring the roads in the hills above Brownsville. Its not exactly off roading but there are areas that you need 4wd. We have been up there in 6" of snow and it was fun. I have all those roads mapped into my gps if anyone needs them.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
McDowell creek (about midway between Sweet Home and Lebanon off of HWY20) is a pretty popular spot in this area. Lots of different trails to explore, lots of different terrain. Some of the trails start out easy and can get technical but I generally like to physically scope out what I'm about to drive into before I actually drive into it. In the off chance you do get stuck, like I mentioned it is a fairly popular spot and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding help.

·
Registered
802 Posts
McDowell creek (about midway between Sweet Home and Lebanon off of HWY20) is a pretty popular spot in this area. Lots of different trails to explore, lots of different terrain. Some of the trails start out easy and can get technical but I generally like to physically scope out what I'm about to drive into before I actually drive into it. In the off chance you do get stuck, like I mentioned it is a fairly popular spot and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding help.
I grew up in that area and used to ride my motorcycle around the hills there...haven't been out there in 20 years though......live in Albany now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I grew up in that area and used to ride my motorcycle around the hills there...haven't been out there in 20 years though......live in Albany now.
It's probably one of my favorite spots in this area to go. I live in Corvallis so it's a bit of a haul for me, but no further for me to head out to Alsea Falls. Not too many trails in the Corvallis area to wheel so you have to make the drive if you want to wheel.

It's probably changed quite a bit in 20 years, I used to frequent it about 7 years ago and went last June for the first time in 5 years and found trails off the main trail head that weren't there before. Lots of stuff to explore. I've actually followed trails so far that I wound up by Foster Lake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you just go in McDowell Creek road and look for things? Is there maybe a trail head somehwere? Or maybe it is more like going on forest service roads?

Mike

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's probably one of my favorite spots in this area to go. I live in Corvallis so it's a bit of a haul for me, but no further for me to head out to Alsea Falls. Not too many trails in the Corvallis area to wheel so you have to make the drive if you want to wheel.

It's probably changed quite a bit in 20 years, I used to frequent it about 7 years ago and went last June for the first time in 5 years and found trails off the main trail head that weren't there before. Lots of stuff to explore. I've actually followed trails so far that I wound up by Foster Lake.
I was at the park about 20 years ago to take pictures of the family. I have a picture of my 1966 Ford van at the park also. It was taken about 1974 or 75.

I used to ride a trail that came out on a bluff over looking Foster Lake.....

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
"I used to ride a trail that came out on a bluff over looking Foster Lake..... "
That would be the grand overlook on Marks Ridge??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you just go in McDowell Creek road and look for things? Is there maybe a trail head somehwere? Or maybe it is more like going on forest service roads?

Mike
A little of both. There are some logging trails across from the parking lot for the hiking trails that are fun to explore. If you follow the main road past the parking area another 2 or 3 miles (turns from asphalt to gravel) you'll find some forest service roads up that way (shortly past the big house...you'll see what I mean). Lots to explore either way and it's all legal. No private property signs and nothing is gated.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts