Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week when i got it , it fit great in the garage.
Today i decided it was a nice day to take off the doors.
So i go to park it in the garage with the soft top up. As i drive into the garage i hear a bad sound on the soft top. Now i have a gash on my soft top.
Moral of the story - when you take off the doors the wrangler sits HIGHER.
Such an idiot. ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
That sucks dude, I'm sorry to hear that. I wouldn't have thought it would rise that much with the doors off. It's not like they weigh that much. Is it an Unlimted?

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
There is no way that taking off the doors removed enough weight to raise the jeep by anything measurable. While your story of scraping is probably true, I have to call BS that the removing of the doors caused it.

Come on, man. Think critically about what you described. And then think about it again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not BS dude. Try it yourself. Its a 2017 JKU. Fit great with doors on. Doors off it hit the garage door brace, the part that connects the door to the carriage, that L piece. I also clipped the capping on the inside area of the entrance.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
So how much do you estimate that the jeep lifted by taking off the doors?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If taking the doors off truly did lift it high enough to hit the soft top then you must've only been clearing by an 1/8" before

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only other way it could of happened is if the soft top didnt get put back on 100% right. I looked at the frame and it looks like it is sitting correctly. When i put my door on again, i'll do a measurement with them on and removed and post.

·
Premium Member
9,897 Posts
There is no way that taking off the doors removed enough weight to raise the jeep by anything measurable. While your story of scraping is probably true, I have to call BS that the removing of the doors caused it.

Come on, man. Think critically about what you described. And then think about it again.
It would really depend on how much clearance he had to begin with. I have my doors off and and my rear glass probably 180 lbs total and I am 1/2 inch higher. Both doors are 120 pounds.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

The total weight of the doors is over 200lbs. Not an inconsequential weight. I weigh about that much and the driver's side drops 3/4 of an inch when I get in. Obviously it's not as evenly distributed as the door weight, but if you're already close, it might be enough. I also don't know how spring rate comes into play. Next time I take the doors off I'll measure mine just out of curiosity.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Okay, fair enough. Even if the doors weighed enough to matter, the fact that he was close enough to hit after than before is more due to a tight tolerance otherways.

If he had ridden in with a passenger he would have cleared it? Still calling something fishy.

Like I wrote before. Think critically.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Poor guy posts his experience and is basically called out as a liar and not thinking critically? Huh... He never said he had a ton of clearance originally, just that it was higher with them off. Why so critical?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Didn't even think about putting a garvin rack on my 17 Rubicon in the garage because my 12 sport fit (like a champ). I, maybe have 1.5" clearance. As far as the bitchy people go, don't sweat it. A lot of people have web courage.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
So i go to park it in the garage with the soft top up. As i drive into the garage i hear a bad sound on the soft top. Now i have a gash on my soft top.
Such an idiot. ?
Hey man sorry to hear about this. They say experience teaches us, but in my experience it costs us!

How big is the gash? Why don't you call the dealer and see who they use for repairs? If the product is man made, it's man repairable. A replacement would be around $1400 or $1600, I believe, or you could get a fastback type from Bestop for $1000 or less. Craigslist is another alternative, as is ebay. I just picked up a used one from ebay for $355, for model year 2016 (same as my JKU).

Although these experiences suck, whenever someone reports a mistake or a learning experience here, I for one, learn as much as I can so I don't make the same expensive mistake. Don't be discouraged by the critics. Would it be too much to ask for some photos of the damage and/or garage setup?

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,689 Posts
Bummer. What really seems sad to me is he cannot easily fix the clearance and now way he can get bigger tires. Sorry. I run with the doors off a lot this time of year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Such an idiot. ?
I believe the soft top sits a bit higher than the hardtop. Probably to allow for the soft top frame. That in combo with the less weight from the door removal increased the height enough to cause the damage. So sorry to hear.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts