Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,
Let me start off with an apology as I’m sure there have been hundreds of other people like me asking rookie questions. I am looking to buy my first Jeep (used) for daily commuting to the train station (about 12 miles a day) and for running errands on the weekends, etc. I’m not looking to make any modifications either. Basically just looking for something I can scoot around in for a good number of years and blast heavy metal in the summer with the top off!! I’ve been leasing cars for years so I am accustomed to not having car problems and my biggest concern is buying used and having problems the next day (my situation at home may change in the next year or two so there won't be a need to lease 2 cars anymore). I don’t have $000s’ at my disposal to fix any major issues, nor the time as I need a car every day. I know a well maintained Jeep with 150K + is better than a poorly maintained Jeep with 80K, so therein lies my biggest doubt. HOW DO YOU KNOW? I guess it’s just a gamble, yes?
Having said that, I can’t see spending more than $10K – $12K for used. Does that put me more or less in the TJ bracket (1997-2006)?
Is it easier to ask this forum if there are any TJ years that I should stay away from rather than the TJ years I should go after?
I know I will spend more going through a dealer, but I feel like I should go that route in the event I buy a lemon or is it buyer beware even through a dealer? Do dealers offer limited warranties on Jeeps in the TJ years?
Thank you all
PS – If I wind up buying, it won’t be for another year or so, but it’s become obvious that I can spend that much time easily just on doing research!!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
First thing is if you will be using it for commuting and errands be sure you really want a Jeep. They aren't the most smooth driving vehicles since they were designed for off-road. That is not mean to dissuade you, but be sure that you try one out if you haven't before you take the plunge. I love my Jeep but she definitely doesn't drive like my '83 Olds... :p

It is a gamble. There are better and worse years but in the end it comes down to luck I think. The 4.0s are pretty reliable, so if you can find a rust-free Jeep that has been maintained well and is still stock it should last you a while without too many big repairs. Do realize that you will be buying at the minimum an 11 year old vehicle... There are bound to be repairs. I think the "best" years are 2002-2004 because they don't have the head cracking issues the early 2000 Jeeps had and they still have the still-in-production 5-speed trans (if you want manual) or the more reliable auto trans. The 2005-2006 have the expensive to repair 6-speed manual and an auto trans that has had some issues.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Get a TJ, I would advise you stay away from the JK it's not reliable and it's not a jeep. If you want a reliable mode of transportation buy something else all together the TJ's are old and need a lot of upkeep and JK's are rolling turds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIiMA1-W70

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Get a TJ, I would advise you stay away from the JK it's not reliable and it's not a jeep. If you want a reliable mode of transportation buy something else all together the TJ's are old and need a lot of upkeep and JK's are rolling turds.
I do prefer the TJs, but the JKs are definitely more polished. More comfortable, ride better, can handle larger tire sizes without lifts, handles off-road better in their stock form, etc... All cars (and Jeeps) have their problems and I wouldn't say the JKs are unreliable or rolling turds. I also wouldn't say it isn't a Jeep either. Hell, I see people out there with their JKs doing way more than some TJs I see...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.

I think the high level of debate on various topics is the one reason why I haven't taken the plunge to this day. I keep telling myself it will happen eventually. Time will tell!

Thanks again

·
Registered
507 Posts
Decide on the things you want to do, then see what people have done to theirs. Do some careful research into reliability, maintenance costs, upgrade costs etc. check into owner satisfaction

Then throw all that research out the window and buy the one you like, because if you don't like the one you get, you won't be happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts