Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 33's right now. Everything that I've been doing to my Jeep has been with 35's in mind; upgraded steering, HPD30, MC fenders + 2" lift, etc.

I went wheeling last weekend and got into a flexy situation where my rear tire got tucked into the wheel well pretty good. Someone snapped a pic while I was in this position and it gave me a good view of it. But it makes me wonder if my wheel well has room for a 35 without cutting the tub ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been running my 'cloaked LJ with 35's and no lift for a year now and have had only minor rubbing issues. In front the tires just caught the inside of the top of the fender (not the flare), enough to take the paint off but not enough to gouge the tire. In back the tire would catch the edge of the mounting plate by about 1/16th of an inch, again without marking the tire. I could easily have fixed things with 1" bumpstops, but went with a 2.5" OME lift instead, because that was the plan from the beginning. Note to the folks who would say I should have lifted first, then added bigger tires: Yeah, probably, but I believed the claims from MC and if my old springs weren't sagging slightly it would have worked. In any case, it is what it is and no harm done.

"Before" pic, tires are rubbing as described. Don't have an "after" pic yet, but believe me, the tires clear easily now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running my 'cloaked LJ with 35's and no lift for a year now and have had only minor rubbing issues. In front the tires just caught the inside of the top of the fender (not the flare), enough to take the paint off but not enough to gouge the tire. In back the tire would catch the edge of the mounting plate by about 1/16th of an inch, again without marking the tire. I could easily have fixed things with 1" bumpstops, but went with a 2.5" OME lift instead, because that was the plan from the beginning. Note to the folks who would say I should have lifted first, then added bigger tires: Yeah, probably, but I believed the claims from MC and if my old springs weren't sagging slightly it would have worked. In any case, it is what it is and no harm done.

"Before" pic, tires are rubbing as described. Don't have an "after" pic yet, but believe me, the tires clear easily now.
Do you have adjustable control arms in the rear? It looks like I have a tiny bit more space to the rear of the wheel well than the front. Maybe control arms can adjust that out.

I'll probably be fine if you're doing ok. I have a 1" effective suspension lift and some slight bump stop extension because of that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
did you buy the mod cut rear fenders? i cut my tub in preparation for 35s :)

i too have a 2" lift, but these are only 31s

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you have adjustable control arms in the rear? It looks like I have a tiny bit more space to the rear of the wheel well than the front. Maybe control arms can adjust that out.
I have the stock CA's, although I did get the mod cut mounting plates and trimmed the tub accordingly for more room. I was surprised at how much more room for tire movement that small amount of trimming (about an inch or so front and back) gave me. What little rubbing I get is on the back half of the wheel opening, starting at the top. In the photo below it would be from the top center back to where the cut line starts.

This shows the lines where I cut the tub for the mod cut plates.

·
Registered
158 Posts
deleted most of this post..

so that picture is before you cut the tub, correct?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I completely forgot about mod cuts. I don't think I really considered it at the time of purchase since I wasn't thinking 35s back then.

I'm still probably a year out on 35s, so it's not the end of the world. I have some time to consider cutting my existing plates, or buying new ones. They're not too terribly expensive. Maybe I'll get the aluminum ones ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Jason: Yeah, those were the cut lines for the mod cut plates. That first cut always makes me want to rethink the whole project...

Foco: When the time comes, I don't think that trimming the mounting plate along with the tub will be a problem. From looking at MC's website it appears that there is room to trim the plate without having to redrill any of the holes on the plate itself, although I could be wrong. Have at it!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Foco: When the time comes, I don't think that trimming the mounting plate along with the tub will be a problem.
I don't think so either. The mod cut plates sure do give you a nice template to follow though :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts