Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about wrapping a chain/rope/recovery strap around my front bumper and brush guard for looks. Kinda' like the old willies in WW2 photos. Though I'm not sure how it looks, or the legality behind it. I would do it around the front of my bumper in a figure-8 pattern, so it wouldn't be covering any lights. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I wrap my snatch strap around my rear spare tire when out wheeling. This way, it is ready to pull me back out. That count?!
Troy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've been thinking about wrapping a chain/rope/recovery strap around my front bumper and brush guard for looks. Kinda' like the old willies in WW2 photos. Though I'm not sure how it looks, or the legality behind it. I would do it around the front of my bumper in a figure-8 pattern, so it wouldn't be covering any lights. Has anyone done this?
Mall crawler buddy of mine had it on his front bumper, should be fine. As for out wheelin I keep mine wrapped around the tire after I get pulled out the first time

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have always had my chain hanging from the bumperettes/bumper in the rear.....but I ALSO always had a lock on it.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've done it with my chain to keep it from taking up room in the back. One end is locked to the other, so if they're able to steal it, they're able to steal anything they want anyway.

One benefit I've noticed is that the chain stays cleaner. If I use it on the trail and it inevitably gets dirty or muddy, putting it back in the bucket in the back makes it rust by the time I can get it out at home and hose it off. But on the bumper, I can hose it off or let the rain do it just like the rest of the Jeep.

I get looks sometimes, but that's not why I did it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I really hope you people are not using the chains as a recovery tool.
This. I had my snatch strap snap before and that was scary enough.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
1) Hardly anyone uses rope anymore
2) Elements will do horrible things to both rope and chain.
3) You have to worry about theft.

If I were to do either rope and chain, I would go with rope. Cleaning rust stains suck.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
1) Hardly anyone uses rope anymore
2) Elements will do horrible things to both rope and chain.
3) You have to worry about theft.

If I were to do either rope and chain, I would go with rope. Cleaning rust stains suck.
Not to mention cleaning up broken glass and blood really sucks as well. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have used chain to pull stuck vehicles MANY times. As long as the proper precautions are taken, not an issue.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! I figured I would have to either do a rope purely for looks(and too cheap to be worth stealing), or a chain and lock it. I figured I wouldn't want to do it with a snap strap... Don't want the sole piece of equipment I rely on for recovery out in the elements.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really hope you people are not using the chains as a recovery tool.
Chains have uses. If it's grade 80 or 100, I'd feel safe using it. I use it almost daily to rig much heavier loads than will ever come into play on the trail.

Working Load Limit, WLL

I prefer to use the strap, but the chain is there if I need a little more length or something to tie to another anchor point.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
They do have uses. I use them at work to move around equipment on a regular basis. As far as on the trails?.. It would be a last resort kind of thing. I have seen them break with a lot of load on them. Luckily the guy operating the machine wasn't in direct line of it.

Same goes for a tow/recovery strap with metal hooks. I rather not, if I don't have to. But I have.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Thanks everyone! I figured I would have to either do a rope purely for looks(and too cheap to be worth stealing), or a chain and lock it. I figured I wouldn't want to do it with a snap strap... Don't want the sole piece of equipment I rely on for recovery out in the elements.
I think the rope will look better.

Chain might get noisy depending how tight you wrap it. Even then it will move some and wear the paint off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention; chains are NOT for "snatching". Every single instance I've seen a failure was when some dummy was putting a high dynamic load on it. Take the slack out gently, then pull.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts