Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bringing my 2011 Wrangler in for recall #L35 and oil change.
I have had it for 10 months and it has 6000 miles on it, stock tires.

Should I have them rotate my tires as well?

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: YUP and include the spare !

The L35 will be free and should solve some "emmission" sensor problems-

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep. I'd say say every 6 is okay-every 3 is cya. I know I know-it costs more and blah blah. I've seen so many wranglers with ruined tires-and hey are not cheap-so I'm going every 3k on mine. Make em last.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: YUP and include the spare !

The L35 will be free and should solve some "emmission" sensor problems-course the rotation probably won't be free, but will get longer tire life, for ALL FIVE and you should doit yourself, to save money and give you "TRAINING":rofl:

Good luck

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Yep. I'd say say every 6 is okay-every 3 is cya. I know I know-it costs more and blah blah. I've seen so many wranglers with ruined tires-and hey are not cheap-so I'm going every 3k on mine. Make em last.
I second that ... I rotate mine every 3k.

T

·
Registered
157 Posts
im on the fence about it. coming from a bmw background they are totaly against tire rotations.

they feel that the difference in traction and stability of having tires mixed from different axels until they wear down again to fit like a glove on that axel is dangerous.

if tires dont wear evenly get to the route of the problem and fix that. you are safer and better off buying new tires than trying to preserve old ones a tad longer.

im tending to agree with them as in years and years i never had my tires wear uneven with any of my bmw's.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
BS. The drive tires will always wear more than the non drive tires, unless BMW uses magic tires. Rotate your tires for longer and even tread life. Or don't and buy tires more oftem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes thats true but they did wear evenly across each tire . their feeling is for quite a few miles of driving the vehicle wont be as stable ,stop as well or even handle as well as you will most likely have a different foot print when you rotate the tires.

they feel and i did too that trying to crank a few extra miles out by rotating just may not be worth the trade off.

heck if you stopped 2 feet shorter and it saved you from hitting something thats well worth giving up a few extra miles on worn tires ..

i have to say that on my xterra i rotated tires every 3000 miles and by the time they had 30k on them they looked pretty decent. well i noticed alot more sliding in the snow than i had noticed last season so i junked them and got new ones.

like night and day in the snow ,so im not a big lover of trying to keep tires past the point i notice alot more snow slippage and wet weather performance was degrading .

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Each tire wears evenly even if you rotate it. The point of rotating is that ALL the tires wear evenly, which is much safer than having tires on the drive wheels more worn than the non drive wheel tires. They just want to make you buy tires more often. Their logic makes absolutely no sense and you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

·
Registered
157 Posts
it takes many many miles before they are even again. their research has shown a severe drop in stability , stopping power and handling until they finally do even out again.

there is merit there. its just a question of what you want to do.

personally i prefer my tires to fit like a glove at all times and if i have to replace them a little sooner so be it.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Do you have a link to this research? I have never heard of it and apparently neither has any tire manufacturer since they all recommend proper rotation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Couple of thoughts:
1 - If you have to pay to have your tires rotated, you are probably paying more for the service than you are saving in terms of tread life. Rotate them yourself, and it's a win-win.

2 - Many BMW's, and many other automobiles, feature "non-rotatable" tires. My Corvette, for example. These cars not only have directional tires, which prohibits side-to-side rotation, but they also have differing sizes for front and rear, preventing front-to-back rotation. (275-35-18 vs 325-30-19)

In any event, if your tires are indeed rotatable, do it yourself, and save!

CW
:thumb:

·
Registered
157 Posts
The BMW shop manual states:
The tread wear patterns at the front end
differ from those at the rear - the actual
patterns will vary according to individual
driving conditions. In the interests
of safety and maintaining handling characteristics, BMW does not
recommend tire rotation.
If you feel you must rotate the tires, they can only be rotated from front to back and back to front. This is because the tire flexes a certain way when on one side of the car, and a different way when on the other side. This difference causes the tire to wear a certain way when driven on one side of the vehicle and may adversely affect the handling ( when rotated to the other side.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You should also change the strings on your guitars before they break. They will sound and play a lot better with new strings.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Google "BMW tire rotation." You'll come up with 3 or 4 different forum discussions on the subject along with Wikipedia and Yahoo answers advising that BMW is against it. You'll also come up with a couple dozen local BMW dealers offering specials for tire rotations! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: As a side note-

I was taught by BFG in 1973, as steel radials FIRST started market production, that you never "cross rotate" the steel radials, because of "steel set, wear pattern" and even though the radial construction supports cross rotate now and in the last decades---I still never cross rotate my tires, cars/4x4s-

Now I don't know about BMW, never having one, but I have had lots a Corvettes and thats like clogan says-ya can't rotatem-

I do-do the 5-tire rotation on my JKUR, but there are three tires, that stay on the drivers side !

Smokemifyougotem

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I don't think its fair to compare a BMW or Corvette tire rotation to a Jeep's tire rotation with truck tires, many with 6-10" of sidewall and a M/T pattern running <30psi. The contact patch of my 33x12.50x15 duratracs is so big I doubt that minor inconsistencies in tread wear would affect the tire more than picking up rocks in the tread when I drive down gravel roads. 5 tire rotation for me but I haven't been around the block ad many times as most of y'all.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
:whistling: As a side note-

I was taught by BFG in 1973, as steel radials FIRST started market production, that you never "cross rotate" the steel radials, because of "steel set, wear pattern" and even though the radial construction supports cross rotate now and in the last decades---I still never cross rotate my tires, cars/4x4s-
That's because back then the belts had a tendency to shift. They are better made now and that doesn't happen. I know you're old, but it is okay to accept change. :rofl:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D heh Heh, thats true and some people need to learn to read an ENTIRE POST !

That's because back then the belts had a tendency to shift. They are better made now and that doesn't happen. I know you're old, but it is okay to accept change. :rofl:
You'll learn, with a little practice !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts