Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a search but I think maybe I am not wording it correctly while searching. I am certain this has been covered before so I am really sorry for asking.

Back in November I ordered a set of M/T's (Treadwright Guarddogs). 35/12.5R17. I don't really drive much but they have at least 8k miles or so on them. They appear to be wearing evenly and all of that good stuff(they actually still look pretty new to me).

I never did a 5 tire rotation and my spare has been kept in my basement. I put it in the back of the Jeep when I go wheeling but never included it with my tire rotations. (only got to wheel a few times with them so far)

Would it be a problem to add it to the tire rotation this late? I am not doing a full time mount in the back of the jeep so the spare will be in the jeep all the time now. I currently have the spare tire delete done so before it stayed in my basement.

I have never NOT done a 5 tire rotation so this is the first time and it's my own negligence and stupidity. I was hoping it's still safe to throw it in to the rotation like it should have been all along.

Here is a picture to give an idea of how the tires on the jeep currently are tread wise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you are going to rotate it in. Put it on the rear. I say this because if you have it in 4wd and happen to be on dry pavement for whatever reason, it won't mess with your front diff. As it locks in 4wd.
It may however (if it is indeed that much different) turn on your traction control light. That's due to the wheel speed sensor not matching with the rest. Not a big deal and will go away when things are back to matching. But it is a possibility.
It is only at 8k. And I do mine at 6ish assuming I'm not lazy when that time comes. So it probably won't be a big deal.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree with that link.
But if they are reasonably close, maybe 1-2/32 difference not a problem. But his were half worn! That's a huge difference.
If yours are half worn do not rotate in.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
With the JK... and almost every other new vehicle... the tread depth between the tires MUST be less than 3/32s. The computer can sense the difference and will burn out the traction control mechanisms if the difference exceeds 3/32s. Mileage does not matter... tread depth / overall diameter is what counts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I'll go down tonight and get a meter to see the difference. I could use a penny but this will probably give me more exact measurements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts