Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2015 JK from Carvana and one of their things is they replace the tires on all vehicles (at least that's what the delivery driver said). I just realized today that the spare tire is not the same brand as the other 4 (which are Firestone Destination M/T - original version not version 2). I'm guessing they saw the spare was never used and just left it. I contacted Firestone and they do have these available at $233.

Just looking for everyone's opinion if it's a good idea to purchase another Destination tire so they all match and I can do a 5 tire rotation or just leave everything as-is and do a 4 tire rotation.

I haven't owned the vehicle long enough to say that I like or don't like the tires. They seem fine in the rain, but I've read that changes after the newness wears off. Mainly drive on the highway but I'm signing up for a few Jeep Jamborees next year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never believed in the five-tire rotation. A spare is a spare and who cares what it is. It's best to just rotate front to back, same side always. New tires will "relax" with the forward torque applied to them, always in the same direction. Reversing the direction can cause shifting of the belts and weaken the tire, leading to failure at high speeds or breaking apart under torque.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I think I would do some research on this site and pick the 4 tires you want to run. Then pick the spare from the two you have, or buy another of the primary tires you select. There is a lot of info on tires here, and they can be quite important and worth matching to your mixture of usage.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
I like the 5 tire rotation... You get the extra mileage, but that's not as important as not letting the spare tire age out. Do you get rid of cars every 5 years? Don't worry about it. Plan to keep the Jeep for 7+ years? That spare will be aged out and dry cracking etc.

I printed this and laminated it for my glove box... That way, if I don't do my own rotation, I can ensure the tech does it the way I want it done.

Reactions: RhinoSportJKU
1 - 5 of 5 Posts