Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have D44. I pulled the yokes and pinion seals out of both front and rear, in order to replace the seals. I had no loss of fluid.

D44 was pinion seal replacement was super-easy, though.
I only had to torque the pinion nut to specification on mine.

If you have D30 or D35 and you do have to do anything with the removing/installing yoke or pinion seal... You might have to do the old counting threads and marking the pinion and nut with the chisel, in order to get it back to proper tightness without damaging anything in the diff.

Just to rule out the front drive train...
With all four wheels in the air and in N, turn the yoke. See if you can feel (or hear) anything rubbing or binding

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If you tap the brakes does the noise stop or get better then start again? The way jeep designed the brake pads to ride directly on the knuckle was really stupid. Over the years where the pads touch the knuckle it wears into them then the pads cant fully release and then you can hear pads squeaking.

The early AMC XJ/YJ knuckles were different and you could replace the caliper mount without having to replace the whole knuckle. Once Chrysler took over they cheapened it up and made the entire knuckle disposable. Some people weld the Chrysler knuckles up instead of replacing them.

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you tap the brakes does the noise stop or get better then start again? The way jeep designed the brake pads to ride directly on the knuckle was really stupid. Over the years where the pads touch the knuckle it wears into them then the pads cant fully release and then you can hear pads squeaking.
I wish...brakes have no effect. I replaced all them anyways with wishful thinking, but yeah that did nothing. At least I've got all fresh brakes though haha.

Local transmission shop wants $600 to rebuild my NP231 (I don't have bearing presses or the workspace to do it myself).. but found a used one on DeadJeep for $300 shipped...I'm thinking about going that route..

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I have D44. I pulled the yokes and pinion seals out of both front and rear, in order to replace the seals. I had no loss of fluid.

D44 was pinion seal replacement was super-easy, though.
I only had to torque the pinion nut to specification on mine.

If you have D30 or D35 and you do have to do anything with the removing/installing yoke or pinion seal... You might have to do the old counting threads and marking the pinion and nut with the chisel, in order to get it back to proper tightness without damaging anything in the diff.

Just to rule out the front drive train...
With all four wheels in the air and in N, turn the yoke. See if you can feel (or hear) anything rubbing or binding
I've got 44 in rear and 30 in front. I replaced the seal on the SYE output with no fluid loss, was just wondering about the front shaft output (from T-case).

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update: Had the transfer case completely rebuilt (bearings/seals/chain + the input shaft because had a broken tooth). No change to the squeak. I don't have the space/stands to safely jack the whole thing up and throw it in gear. I'll ask around and see if I can find a jeeper buddy who does though.

Noise seems to be initiated by some torque from the engine, i.e. if I give it a little gas in gear the noise gets louder. Then when I let off the gas and let it coast (in gear or in N), it will continue to rotationally squeak, but seems to slowly get quieter and quieter until I give it gas again. Also still only happens when everything is hot and warmed to temp. Also only happens going forward, not in reverse. I can hear it now at higher speeds (<30 mph or so), but it is rotating so fast it's not as distinct as slow speeds.

I do have a rear main seal and an oil pan gasket leak right now. Not enough to drip on the ground or notice a low oil level during oil changes, but something to note. Also the output seal for my D44 has a slight leak. I just replaced the diff fluids and it wasn't low or anything, but I'll replace that seal next.

It still sounds like it is coming from the middle of the jeep, not distinctively front/rear or left/right. So my best guess now is either engine or transmission related. Both of which are out of my wheelhouse of skills...

I'm about to be out of town for work for 2 weeks, seriously considering dropping it off to the pros and let them figure it out..I've thrown way too much money at this stupid noise hah.

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, going to finally suck it up and bring it into a shop...I'll update the post with what they can find....hopefully finally get closure on this 2month+ (expensive) rabbit chase.

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update:
Got it back from the shop finally. The mechanic was able to finally recreate the sound with the jeep on a lift and it was coming from my rear pinion. He sprayed some lube on it and it instantly went away... Charged me for a 1/2hr of his time and I went on my way...Score!

So far I've driven it a bunch for two days and it hasn't come back yet, but will replace the seal if it does come back. I seriously cannot believe it was that simple...LOL!

Anyways, it feels so weird to drive it and not hear the noise anymore, it's been months of chasing that annoying mf...but my wallet is excited it was that simple for sure.

Cheers,
XBD

·
Registered
781 Posts
Nice to hear the cause has been located. I was right that it sounded like it was timed to driveshaft speed. Who'd have thought it would be a squeaky seal.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts