Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still shopping different lift kits and cant make up my mind. My Jeep is bone stock (15' JKUR) and I plan to keep the stock wheels and tires for about two years. Until then, I just want a little added height with wheel spacers.

In regards to the 2.5" RC spacer lift, do I absolutely NEED an adjustable track bar and/or exhaust spacers. I'm trying not to dump alot of money into the temporary "Spacer Lift."

Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No and no. You will only need exhaust spacers when you get longer shocks. And you will never need a track bar. If your lift is high enough that your front axle is offset to the extent that one of your tires rubs at full lock, you should do a raised trackbar bracket and draglink flip. Adjustable trackbars are one of the most pointless mods IMO.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
That kit is complete, you'll need nothing.

Consider some 1.5" wheel spacers to improve stance. - you'll be set for as much as 35"'s when your tires wear out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you !!

Two more questions maybe someone could answer.

1: Think there is any need to add bumpstops ? ( I see them in other kits like AEV , but not in this kit?)

2: And, instead of using the supplied sway bar brackets for the front sway bar links , can i use the stock sway bar links from the rear which are ultimatly replaced by the extended links included in the kit? , or are they not long enough?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thank you !! Two more questions maybe someone could answer. 1: Think there is any need to add bumpstops ? ( I see them in other kits like AEV , but not in this kit?) 2: And, instead of using the supplied sway bar brackets for the front sway bar links , can i use the stock sway bar links from the rear which are ultimatly replaced by the extended links included in the kit? , or are they not long enough?
Definitely no need for bump stops if your running stock tires. Might need them if you run 35's and longer shocks. Still not sure 35's would even rub since your not running longer coils.

The supplied sway bar links go in the back and the instructions have you replace the stock front links with the longer stock rear links.

Which brings up another point, if you don't have a Rubi - it would be a good time to install sway bar disconnects.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't yet, plan to go in a month or two with friends, Obviously I will be starting out lightly...

·
Registered
158 Posts
What made you decide on this lift? I just got a 2012 JKU. I don't plan to wheel more than once or twice a year. I would like to keep as close to the stock ride as possible.
I read bad things about rough country's springs but this lift is just spacers so it should be good. Right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm still shopping different lift kits and cant make up my mind. My Jeep is bone stock (15' JKUR) and I plan to keep the stock wheels and tires for about two years. Until then, I just want a little added height with wheel spacers.

In regards to the 2.5" RC spacer lift, do I absolutely NEED an adjustable track bar and/or exhaust spacers. I'm trying not to dump alot of money into the temporary "Spacer Lift."

Thanks.
I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to pretty much keep everything stock but add a couple of inches clearance for off-road use including light rock crawling. My plan was to run the OEM tires and wheels until they wore out. And planned on keeping the OEM bumpers. So I had the Teraflex 2.5 budget boost with shock extenders installed. It worked as advertised and I was extremely happy with it.
Well,like so many others, I have added after market bumpers and a winch. Now the front end is noticeably lower with the added weight. I also notice that I don't have as much upward travel due to the added compression from the added weight. So, now I am in the market to remove the budget boost and install a spring/shock lift. If I had not added the extra 150 lbs to the front and 80 lbs to the rear, I would have been more than happy with the budget boost.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was in the same boat as you. Wanted to pretty much keep everything stock but add a couple of inches clearance for off-road use including light rock crawling. My plan was to run the OEM tires and wheels until they wore out. And planned on keeping the OEM bumpers. So I had the Teraflex 2.5 budget boost with shock extenders installed. It worked as advertised and I was extremely happy with it. Well,like so many others, I have added after market bumpers and a winch. Now the front end is noticeably lower with the added weight. I also notice that I don't have as much upward travel due to the added compression from the added weight. So, now I am in the market to remove the budget boost and install a spring/shock lift. If I had not added the extra 150 lbs to the front and 80 lbs to the rear, I would have been more than happy with the budget boost.
The good thing is you didn't spend much on the budget boost, you used and modified your jeep according to your actual use and needs. And now you have a much better idea what you need moving forward. - not a bad investment on that BB

·
Registered
28 Posts
image-2719119765.jpg

I installed a 2.5" suspension lift by RC this past weekend, added the 1.5" wheel spacers as well as a steering stabilizer. Here's what it looks like. Stock rims with stock tire size is 255/75/R17.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely no need for bump stops if your running stock tires. Might need them if you run 35's and longer shocks. Still not sure 35's would even rub since your not running longer coils.

The supplied sway bar links go in the back and the instructions have you replace the stock front links with the longer stock rear links.

Which brings up another point, if you don't have a Rubi - it would be a good time to install sway bar disconnects.

Trailcrawler is right, I have coil spacers and instead of buying the kit, I bought everything separately and got sway bar quick disconnects, it cost a tiny bit more but worth it for the disconnects.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Colossus, Maybe you could answer this for me,

Did you need an alignment after the install? and any reason you choose a Steering stabilizer over the Castor relocation bracket ?

Im installing this at my pop's place which is two hours of highway driving... trying to make sure i make it home with no issues after install.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Colossus, Maybe you could answer this for me, Did you need an alignment after the install? and any reason you choose a Steering stabilizer over the Castor relocation bracket ? Im installing this at my pop's place which is two hours of highway driving... trying to make sure i make it home with no issues after install.
You don't need an alignment, actually there is nothing you'd be able to adjust that is affected by this lift.

You may need to center the steering wheel. I centered mine, then fine tuned it over the next few days and ended up back very close to the original adjustment.

This lift (or any) does nothing to affect your steering stabilizer. Your steering stabilizer does nothing to affect your lift.

Drop brackets might help a bit, but aren't necessary for this lift. They can be done later if desired.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thanks Guys for all you input. Think I'm gonna go with this kit.

For the above question regarding "why this kit," My thinking is that for Under $200 i can get full 2.5" kit which has steel spacers and a Rear Track Rod Bracket and for another $100 pick up a AEV Castor Bracket... (Total $300). I was originally looking at AEV ($285) but seems high for spacer kit with minimum stuff and Teraflex ($280) I've read some hit or miss reviews regarding the spacers deteriorating.

I guess for me , go cheap on spacer kit and take my time thinking about which spring lift to do while i wear out my new stock/factory suspension components and tires... Then spend the money on the Real Deal..

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Ok thanks Guys for all you input. Think I'm gonna go with this kit. For the above question regarding "why this kit," My thinking is that for Under $200 i can get full 2.5" kit which has steel spacers and a Rear Track Rod Bracket and for another $100 pick up a AEV Castor Bracket... (Total $300). I was originally looking at AEV ($285) but seems high for spacer kit with minimum stuff and Teraflex ($280) I've read some hit or miss reviews regarding the spacers deteriorating. I guess for me , go cheap on spacer kit and take my time thinking about which spring lift to do while i wear out my new stock/factory suspension components and tires... Then spend the money on the Real Deal..
:thumb: nothing at all wrong with that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Colossus, Maybe you could answer this for me, Did you need an alignment after the install? and any reason you choose a Steering stabilizer over the Castor relocation bracket ? Im installing this at my pop's place which is two hours of highway driving... trying to make sure i make it home with no issues after install.
You won't need an alignment afterward, because you only disconnect sway bars and shocks to install the springs. None of the steering components are messed with.

I chose to use the steering stabilizer because I've had great experiences with them in the past when driving with larger tires. Helps reduce bump steer and just tighten everything up. Feels like a tank on the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds good, for now ill be using the stockers, when i do the wheels I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
im just gonna climb in here and say thanks too. i had this exact question since i just got back into the jeep world. rather than start a new thread i just followed along to this one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts