Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all so question is I just lifted my jeep with the rough country 3.5 in lift and ran into the problem where the sway bar link hit the rear wheel when the car was lifted so I put the car on the ground and no more hitting
I used a floor jack to raise the diff and lower the car at the same time so I could put the wheels on

However I was wondering if anyone has just moved the link over to the shock side of the bracket giving you the room you need. Has anyone done this or is this not recommended?
It doesn't look like it will mess with the geometry but check it out

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way my car has 1400 miles on it I guess I'll be a Guinea pig and let y'all know how this lift works out for me I most likely won't off-road but will go up to big bear soon it's January in SoCal so gotta travel for some snow!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Looks like it belongs on the inside to me. I have the same lift but don't have the jeep with me today, however just looked at a pic and mine is on the outside. Never noticed any issues with rubbing but will check when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just installed a inexpensive pro-comp kit on a customers vehicle. It does the same thing. Also you should check your front links. They probably rub the tire when the suspension is drooped and the wheel at full lock. It is pretty unlikely that a mall-crawler would ever have a problem but if you are going full flex then I could see a damaged rim or slashed sidewall. Really the best repair is to have the proper offset on your rims. You could try moving the links but make sure to check for interference under full compression also.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It looks like it's on the correct side to me given the instructions. Is it hitting only on one side? I wonder if your sway bar shifted one way. Also what backspacing do you have in your rims? The sway bar links should not be rubbing.

·
Super Moderator
14,868 Posts
Stock wheels? If you dont have enough backspace that will happen. You can try running the links inboard.
This here is the issue. Most lifts require lower back spacing than stock. That looks like stock wheels and will need spacers to be done right.

You can move the links to the inside but the passenger side gets close and can hit the frame during articulation. They do belong on the outside...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Stock wheels? If you dont have enough backspace that will happen. You can try running the links inboard.
Edit: looks like pressurized beat me to it.

I'm guessing that he's running stock rims and no spacers. If so what tires are you running and are you rubbing up front, Lower control arms...there isn't enough room between the sway bar and the frame at stuff to move them to the inside?

·
Super Moderator
14,868 Posts
Edit: looks like pressurized beat me to it.

<snip>
1 minute... :tomatoes:

That RC 3.5 series II does have front lower control arms, but I don't know how they are bent. My Synergy's allow extra room for tires, but many of the others do not.

·
Registered
688 Posts
1 minute... :tomatoes: That RC 3.5 series II does have front lower control arms, but I don't know how they are bent. My Synergy's allow extra room for tires, but many of the others do not.
It does come with new lowers, but I can tell you that if he's running stock rims and no spacers there is no way he's running larger than a 33 without rubbing. Control arm, front air dam if he still has it. The new lowers provided have a slight curve but not much over stock if any.

·
Super Moderator
14,868 Posts
It does come with new lowers, but I can tell you that if he's running stock rims and no spacers there is no way he's running larger than a 33 without rubbing. Control arm, front air dam if he still has it. The new lowers provided have a slight curve but not much over stock if any.
Oh yeah, you would know... I forgot that's your kit. I'm just using rules of thumb. :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm running the stock wheels 255/70/18
No spacer and that's what it looks like if I do run bigger tires it will be later down the road
I'll also post a picture of the front as the kit didn't come with front links which I thought was weird but also looks like it works fine

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Oh yeah, you would know... I forgot that's your kit. I'm just using rules of thumb. :thumb:
good rule of thumb for running larger than 33s on most lifts, and if he's running the suggested 35s on stock rims with no spacer I guarantee there is rubbing up front. He will barely clear the rims in the back like he has pictured..... I think you hit the nail on the head. If the OP could verify the rims and tire size it would clarify a lot. Those sway bar links on the rear will not go on the inner and will pinch between the frame and bar if flexed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry for multiple posts I can't figure out how to post more than one picture at a time with my phone maybe there's an app?
Take the ones from the rear and put those in front, new ones go in back, I just did this kit, RTFM its all in there.

Make sure you unloaded all your bushings as well its a VERY important step

1 - 20 of 26 Posts