Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by a local garage today to inquire about having either a leveling kit of lift kit installed. This garage was highly recommended as the place to go for Jeeps. They told me about this RC kit they had in stock (3.25in Suspension Lift Kit for 07-17 Jeep JK Wrangler [PERF693] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®) and how it would be great for my JKU. They said installing it would be an "all day job" and I'd be looking around around $1300 for the kit/install.

I told them I wanted to research the kit as I wasn't familiar with it (I'd been leaning toward a Teraflex leveling kit). When I did that, I found the link to the kit and saw that RC says it is not compatible with JKU's, which I have. They also list install time as 2-3 hours. Both of these things make me hesitant to go to this garage for any work, but I don't want to completely distrust them without asking around so... were they right or is RC right?

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
That lift is not close to being complete. Run away

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! When I read the listing, I was like, WTF.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Just say no to Rough Country lifts and shocks. You will thank us later.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
The RC 3.25 is probably the single worst lift on the market today for a JK/JKU.

Add to that, you'd be getting taken to the cleaners on that install price.

Go elsewhere... Know what you want before you get there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! They annoyed me right off the bat because I walked in saying I was leaning toward a Teraflex leveling kit and they immediately tried to talk me into the RC kit they had in stock.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the info! They annoyed me right off the bat because I walked in saying I was leaning toward a Teraflex leveling kit and they immediately tried to talk me into the RC kit they had in stock.
Come on dude, support local business! That kit has been sitting on their shelf for 6 years! ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
We have a local place here, that too pushes the RC stuff. I've never run RC, but after much research have determined that it's a lower end economical option. I fully believe that there is a market for economical lifts as most lifted Jeeps will not see a trail. This isn't an endorsement for RC, but let's be practical, not everyone needs a "top shelf" lift kit.

You will find folks who hate the RC stuff and folks who love it. As some stated above, know what you want before you go. Also, know what you need before you go. There is a ton of information on the manufacturers websites and if you study all of the features you will come to find which offer quality products.

Also, there is a plethora of information on this site and others, invest some time in research and you will soon have your answers.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There are other RC lifts that are decent lifts. The one you listed is not. It lacks many parts and comes with no form of caster correction. In addition, their install price is about TRIPLE what it should be for that kit.

I know many people that run the RC 3.5 kit and love it. Kit costs $499. Add their front adjustable track bar for another $130 and you are good to go at $629.

Personally if I were you, I'd take a look at Rancho. They have come out with some really nice new kits at fair prices.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Some of RC stuff is ok, in my opinion they make a nice budget boost. My gf and few others run it and has help up well and I've got their HD front track bar mount.
Their coatings have held up better than my rear teraflex track bar bracket lol

But ya, just coils and shocks in a kit like that will drive terribly and there is no way that should be an all day job lol only imagine if they had to put a long arm kit it hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Some of RC stuff is ok, in my opinion they make a nice budget boost. My gf and few others run it and has help up well and I've got their HD front track bar mount.

But ya, just coils and shocks in a kit like that will drive terribly and there is no way that should be an all day job lol only imagine if they had to put a long arm kit it hahaha

My experience is quality bare metal holds up better than teraflex coatings on whatever metal product they sell...........

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts

Yes, nice budget boost and it's economical.

It's their springs, shocks and the lack of appropriate components in their lift kits that kill their reputation.

The 3.5 Series II is the best they have and I might put it on if it was free... Even then I would buy a Yeti drag link in order to not install the drop Pitman.

·
Vendor
739 Posts
Yes, nice budget boost and it's economical.

It's their springs, shocks and the lack of appropriate components in their lift kits that kill their reputation.

The 3.5 Series II is the best they have and I might put it on if it was free... Even then I would buy a Yeti drag link in order to not install the drop Pitman.
I agree with Pressurized, you should never install a dropped pitman arm. Too much stress on the gearbox sector shaft.
Compliant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts