Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts and it seems as most folks agree, don't go there. There is a jeep here in town that I have eyeballed, and actually driven that felt great. Can anyone explain the overall attitude toasted these suspension lifts? I know they are cheaper that other lifts but I'll be damed if I spend triple to pay for marketing. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also how do I add pics and profile pics? Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the RC 3.25" lift and it's OK by me, but mine is a DD and no hard core wheelin......

I know there are better lifts, but this works for what I do and the price is good.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Use this
when wanting to upload a photo to your post.

Use this
When wanting to link to an offsite image url, such as photobucket, imgur

Go to:
User CP>Edit Avatar to change/add a photo under your username.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most people that bash rough county have never had anything they make.

I just got their newest lift that includes all their new Johnny join arms.

My short term review:

Scale of 1-10

Ride: 10 (better than stock by leaps and bounds. I don see how it could be better. It's smooth, not bouncy, and zero bumpsteer.)

Handling: 9 (as good as stock even on 35s, with no more noticeable brake dive than stock.)

Quality of parts: 8 (based purely on whoever cleans up the welds in their plant (grinder) gets a little reckless and nicks up things unnecessarily, and I absolutely HATE the textured gloss powdercoat on the arms, and the threads had some powdercoating in them.)

Flexibility: 10 (not as good as a long arm, but it's not a long arm)

Cost: 10 (nobody else makes a truly complete ready to go package with shocks and arms everything that comes close to the price point of this kit.)

The only real issue I have had is a couple of bad grease fittings on the rear uppers.

I think some other company's make a slightly nicer control arm, but not light years better.

I plan on eventually doing a long arm, so this kit to me was a really great temporary (1 year or so) kit to hold me off till I get ready to upgrade.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I purchased the 3.25" suspension lift a few weeks back but have not yet installed. I too think that a lot of the bad publicity comes from the ride quality from a year or so back. Since then, RC has re-engineered a few things and I've heard that the ride is much smoother. I'm going to wheel the crud out of it and then I'll be able to comment. If it turns out to be a bust then I'll know to go another direction with my lift in the future. It's hard to just jump on the "Down with RC" bandwagon.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Biggest issue I have seen is that the shocks they included gave you about 2 inches of travel so you ended bottoming out the shock all the time, then they blew up from the pounding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you pount me out an instance where someone has posted this claim? I'd like to hear more about it. It must be with the white shocks because I have had a few sets of the silvers on mine one others vehicles with no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am new to the lift thing as far as getting one of my own. My brothers and friends have all had them but they all tell me im to small to jack my jeep up. But anyway i want it. Do any of you know if i can put 33x10.5 on a stock rim and will they look ok with a rc 3.25" lift???

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have the rc 3.25" lift kitand think it's great the on road drive is soooo much better then stock and it was the right price and what I needed for right now cuz i don't plan to extreme of offloading but so far it has done everything I have asked it to

and 33x10.5 should fit but that tire I hear is extremely hard to find and it would look good too I have 32" on 17" rims

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was gonna purchase a RC 4" lift. I went to Four Wheel Parts and the guy told me they don't associate with that company. He said that they dont want to risk standing by RC's products. He also told me that if I offroad a lot, not necessarily hardcore offroading, I'm gonna need a better quality suspension kit. My buddy purchased a RC 4" lift and he's had no problems with it. And we do the same kind of offroading....I guess it all depends on several different variables.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Even though they say they've improved their shocks the still are junk. I had two die in the first two months of driving with very light wheeling through a field called up rough country and after some talking and picture sent they gave me two more now all are toast and I do not plan on replacing them from rough country free or not. Think OME shocks will go there next.
Everything else is great about their lifts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The shocks are junk that come with the RC. Also if you get the basic $500 lift kit the instructions tell you to take some short cuts. example they use the stock track bar and tell you to just drill a hole 3/8 closer in on the stock bracket. You also have to install the drop t-case spacers. The control arms are fine but then you are only getting lowers. If you just want more lift now, then its not bad. I did and have lost some money buying new components along the way but my jeep has never been sitting waiting for something.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I have been reading posts and it seems as most folks agree, don't go there. There is a jeep here in town that I have eyeballed, and actually driven that felt great. Can anyone explain the overall attitude toasted these suspension lifts? I know they are cheaper that other lifts but I'll be damed if I spend triple to pay for marketing. Any thoughts appreciated.

Also how do I add pics and profile pics? Thanks

Jeremy
Remember, you get what you pay for.

Might help:

Shocks to replace Rough Country 2.2s - JeepForum.com
RC 3.25in lift sagging - JeepForum.com
Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - JeepForum.com
RC 2.5" SL problems... YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT!!! - JeepForum.com
PRODUCT POLL: Rough Country 2.5" Lift Kit - JeepForum.com
Rough Country??? - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
No offense, but you didn't read most of those forum posts. The OP had a problem, and either RC chimed in, someone admitted they were wrong, or someone told the OP they messed up.

I'm not defending RC, just reading those posts.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
No offense, but you didn't read most of those forum posts. The OP had a problem, and either RC chimed in, someone admitted they were wrong, or someone told the OP they messed up.

I'm not defending RC, just reading those posts.
I have indeed read them. You must have missed the folks that had poor quality RC and ended up replacing the parts with Currie or something else.

And yes, RC does appear to have great customer service, if you talk to the right person (over on JF, that person is Jeffery). But wouldn't you rather buy a product where you don't need to count on using customer service?

·
Registered
957 Posts
My RC is fine. Only thing I don't like is its a little rough and the TC drop. The rough part is ok and it is stable on smooth road at speeds greater than you should drive. Its a 4" lift though. Haven't crawled or been on a ramp or any other obstacles to know about the flex. Its a mudder.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have indeed read them. You must have missed the folks that had poor quality RC and ended up replacing the parts with Currie or something else.

And yes, RC does appear to have great customer service, if you talk to the right person (over on JF, that person is Jeffery). But wouldn't you rather buy a product where you don't need to count on using customer service?
There is probably not a lift on the market that someone hasn't complained about. Its good to have good customer service no matter who you deal with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts