Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago, I was driving in my TJ and the RPMs were going up and down, then it dies. I start the jeep up again and now it sounds like it's sputtering. I managed to get the Jeep back to my driveway. So there was a check engine light, 11, 12, and 55.

I checked and a couple posts I've seen about replacing the crankshaft position sensor. I got this done, reset (crank 3 times) the computer, and I still get the same problems. I read elsewhere about the TPS since it's a service bulletin. I wasn't sure about going out and buying one if it didn't solve the problem, so I just disconnected it and cleaned it with some electronic cleaner, but that didn't do anything either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ideal Air modular. On side of air intake has two screws holding it on. Probably got some trash in it and its not sealing as it should. I would first try cleaning it with carb cleaner in the orifice and the pin. If that's not a help change the modular and the project should be done for another 50k miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any one got pics of this air modulator? I tried googling but didnt see anything. Is it opposite of the air intake by the intake manifold towards the firewall?

·
Registered
197 Posts
IAC, Idle Air Control solenoid. It's on the passenger side of the throttle body (assuming yours is like mine, 2000 4.0L I6 motor). My idle was varying quite a bit so i replaced the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and took the throttle body off and cleaned the IAC and throttle body. Runs and idles nice now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try it this weekene. I also read about the camshaft position sensor and got one. To my surprise, since mine is a 97, it still uses a distributor cap so I will be returning the camshaft sensor. I did order a new cap and rotor, which I will try that also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I cleaned the throttle body super clean with a toothbursh and all. I even took the idle air control and cleaned that as well. All of the sensors to the throttle body I used electronic cleaner plus dielectric grease. I still get the rough idle and white smoke.

I also replaced the distributor cap and the rotor.

Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/ZmRFStw0lQs

·
Registered
397 Posts
Try disconnecting the upstream o2 sensor, use only ntk/ngk if need to be replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts