Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
How many miles on it? Maybe it needs new plugs/wires. Or, maybe just one of the wires is the problem. If you have one bad wire it can run rough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it to the dealer and he change plugs it has 37.000 on it he also changed upper and lower ball joints and shocks now it seems to run worse sometimes chugging from 2nd to third and there is a whining noise when i excelerate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
otherwise it gets 16 and 21 on the highway but once it gets hot it is 95 here in jersey today it just runs rough and sometimes backfires a little towards the front not the back

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It sounds like you have more than one issue. The dealer just replacing the plugs at only 37,000 miles is just throwing parts at it without solving the problem. There are a number of reasons that your JK is running rough and backfiring when hot. There could be an electrical issue, fuel issue (insufficient fuel pump pressure) or sensor issue. You might want to consider having a private shop properly diagnose and repair it. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
thanks where is the fuel filter on it?
The fuel filter is in the tank and isn't serviceable. They last pretty much the life of the vehicle. On a low mileage JK I don't think that would be the cause of the symptoms you're describing. If there's a reputable local shop in your area you might want to consider having them take a look at it. Anytime I dealt with a fuel injected vehicle that had some type of backfiring problem when extremely hot, it came down to a fuel pressure issue. Just something to keep in mind. It really could be one of a number of issues. It has to be professionally diagnosed. Trying to diagnose the exact problem on a forum would be an educated guess at best. It sounds like there are also other issues that need to be taken care of that might have to do with the drivetrain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks i have an extended warranty I want those f ers to fix it.what makes you think it is the drive train?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks will find mechanic and go back to dealer with knowledge know any jeep mechanics in central new jersey.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Find someone who actually knows how to trouble shoot a vehicle, and not someone who tosses parts at it. Did anyone check for a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my buddy who is a bmw mechanic says its a vacuum leak the last engine i worked on was a 61 falcon very simple don,t know where to start with a vacuum leak

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
my buddy who is a bmw mechanic says its a vacuum leak the last engine i worked on was a 61 falcon very simple don,t know where to start with a vacuum leak
The easiest thing to do is get a cheap vacuum gauge and let him show you how to use it. Or have a shop smoke test your Wrangler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts