Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have JK 2 Dr, recently upgraded its suspension with Fox shocks, front stabilizers, Rock Star 18 wheels and Lexani mud tires, it's lifted to 3.5 inch (I thik) or maybe 4... I do believe the Rubicon Expresse lift kit was used, it was done by a Jeep shop here locally in Chicago. Anyway, the Jeep looks bad ass but boy am I getting tired of hearing road noise, rough/stiff ride :( I deflated the tires a bit to minimize the effects but :rant: now if I decide to change the the 35 tires, which tires would be recommended that will still offer me that aggressive look/stance without compromising ride quality?

Thanks~

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Life's full of trade-off's. If available in the size you need, I would suggest an AT type tire for a quieter and smoother ride.

I have the same problem so an AT tire is the way I'll go when the MT's on my TJ are used up.

In the meanwhile I'm just enduring.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Life's full of trade-off's. If available in the size you need, I would suggest an AT type tire for a quieter and smoother ride.

I have the same problem so an AT tire is the way I'll go when the MT's on my TJ are used up.

In the meanwhile I'm just enduring.
The question is, which A/T tire would do the trick and if I am running 35 can I find an A/T tire that will look good and provide me some ride comfort?

So far I've heard about the BFG KO2, Toyo A-T II, Duratrac, according to my research the BFG Ko2 is the way to go... Shoot I may even consider going with a 33 from a 35 but then :rant:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
If ride matters 2 things count.
First you need a C Load Rating.
Second you need a LIGHT wheel/tire combination.
A stiff sidewall in a light Wrangler will ride rough regardless of the air pressure.
And a heavy unsprung weight will be hard for a LIGHT Wrangler to control.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If ride matters 2 things count.
First you need a C Load Rating.
Second you need a LIGHT wheel/tire combination.
A stiff sidewall in a light Wrangler will ride rough regardless of the air pressure.
And a heavy unsprung weight will be hard for a LIGHT Wrangler to control.
Hmmm, C load rating, sorry for sounding naive or un-informed but what's the classification of load? Meaning load on the tire or on the vehicle itself?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have Toyo Open Country MTs and I think they ride great. Hardly any noise. Taken it on long road trips. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Hmmm, C load rating, sorry for sounding naive or un-informed but what's the classification of load? Meaning load on the tire or on the vehicle itself?
C,D,E.. Molded right into a tires sidewall.

C Load... 1/2ton. 6ply tires
D Load....3/4ton. 8ply tires
E Load....1 ton.. 10ply tires

Load on the tire.
Some guys like D&E Ratings thinking the tire is gonna be tougher.
Some like C Rating thinking the tire will conform to obstacles (rocks etc) better.
On smooth new pavement.. no difference in ride.
But throw in cracks, pot holes, washboard, expansion joints and the D,E tire will definitely ride with a harsh jolt compared to the softer, lighter C tire.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had the same issue...I use my Jeep as my back and forth to work ( 70 mile round trip) and the mud tires were just beating the snot out of me. I bought another set of wheels and tires, using 315 70 R17 Kenda Klever AT KR28 tires. I use those for day to day street driving then swap to Mud tires if I'm heading off road or snow is in the forecast.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you want to combine street with good off raod performance, perhaps a happy medium for you might be the Nitto Trail Grapplers? Not sure if they come in "C" or "D" rating. We're enjoying a set of them in "E" LT rating and don't find the ride to be harsh when running at about 28psi. They are heavier and beefier tires than AT, but not so much as a Mud tire.

If you've decided where your priotities for the Jeep are:

-mostly street, only very light off-roading (AT tire?)
-combined street with good off-road capability (Nitto Trail Grappler?)
-very well-equipped for off-roading (Mud tire or Trail Grappler?)

it should be easier to determine what's best for you.

We all love the looks of beefy off-road tires, and if looks are more important than performance, you know what to go with.

If performance superceeds looks, then choose according to where your vehicle use priorities lie.

We tolerate a level of road noise with the Trail Grapplers (a tire designed to blend some of the qualities of a street tire with some of the qualities of a mud tire) because we place a priority on how well the tires will serve us for light to moderate off-roading. That might be more noise than you're willing to live with - we're all different with regard to that preference. We also tolerate a somewhat stiffer tire feel because we value the heavy durability of an "E" rated tire when we're out in the middle of nowhere.

If your Jeep is a daily commuter, involving a significant amount of freeway driving, and only occasional, light off-roading trails, an AT tire might be the best choice for you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to combine street with good off raod performance, perhaps a happy medium for you might be the Nitto Trail Grapplers? Not sure if they come in "C" or "D" rating. We're enjoying a set of them in "E" LT rating and don't find the ride to be harsh when running at about 28psi. They are heavier and beefier tires than AT, but not so much as a Mud tire.

If you've decided where your priotities for the Jeep are:

-mostly street, only very light off-roading (AT tire?)
-combined street with good off-road capability (Nitto Trail Grappler?)
-very well-equipped for off-roading (Mud tire or Trail Grappler?)

it should be easier to determine what's best for you.

We all love the looks of beefy off-road tires, and if looks are more important than performance, you know what to go with.

If performance superceeds looks, then choose according to where your vehicle use priorities lie.

We tolerate a level of road noise with the Trail Grapplers (a tire designed to blend some of the qualities of a street tire with some of the qualities of a mud tire) because we place a priority on how well the tires will serve us for light to moderate off-roading. That might be more noise than you're willing to live with - we're all different with regard to that preference. We also tolerate a somewhat stiffer tire feel because we value the heavy durability of an "E" rated tire when we're out in the middle of nowhere.

If your Jeep is a daily commuter, involving a significant amount of freeway driving, and only occasional, light off-roading trails, an AT tire might be the best choice for you.

Well I use my JK for daily commuter, living in Chicago doesn't give me the opportunity to do much "off roading" in the summer months I may hit a few trails but nothing that extravagant. I LOVE the looks of my Jeep however, I come from a European performance and comfort background, I have driven BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches, for most of my entire life and this is my first Jeep. I still keep a summer performance car in storage for summer months and in the winter and when needed I use my Jeep the most. So in a sense I'm more used to comfort and quite rides, also, performance. Now I know that I have a Jeep and I knew exactly what I was doing when I started to mod my Jeep. I told the tire place about my concern but since this was a shop were they specialize in Jeeps the owner told me that I wasn't going to be happy with 33's but that I should go with 35's, beefy mud tires to give the Jeep that aggressive stance and appearance. He informed me that having an A/T tire the Jeep would not look as good. And that most likely I will modifying my Jeep down the line with even bigger wheels & tires. When I first came to his shop looking to do some work on the Jeep he told me, "you'll be back and you'll start to spend some serious money on your Jeep", I said, "nah I just want to lift the Jeep and get me a nice set of wheels & tires." Well, I have spent some serious cash in my Jeep to the tune of almost 10k, but it's a hobby and I enjoy it.. But anyway, I want to keep or atleast maintain that aggressive stance and look without sacrificing the "look" of my Jeep...

So I'm a bit more interested in ride quality and performance or a happy medium of the two... Next on the list is gonna be a Prodigy or Ripp supercharger 😉

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well I use my JK for daily commuter, living in Chicago doesn't give me the opportunity to do much "off roading" in the summer months I may hit a few trails but nothing that extravagant. I LOVE the looks of my Jeep however, I come from a European performance and comfort background, I have driven BMW's, Mercedes, Porsches, for most of my entire life and this is my first Jeep. I still keep a summer performance car in storage for summer months and in the winter and when needed I use my Jeep the most. So in a sense I'm more used to comfort and quite rides, also, performance. Now I know that I have a Jeep and I knew exactly what I was doing when I started to mod my Jeep. I told the tire place about my concern but since this was a shop were they specialize in Jeeps the owner told me that I wasn't going to be happy with 33's but that I should go with 35's, beefy mud tires to give the Jeep that aggressive stance and appearance. He informed me that having an A/T tire the Jeep would not look as good. And that most likely I will modifying my Jeep down the line with even bigger wheels & tires. When I first came to his shop looking to do some work on the Jeep he told me, "you'll be back and you'll start to spend some serious money on your Jeep", I said, "nah I just want to lift the Jeep and get me a nice set of wheels & tires." Well, I have spent some serious cash in my Jeep to the tune of almost 10k, but it's a hobby and I enjoy it.. But anyway, I want to keep or atleast maintain that aggressive stance and look without sacrificing the "look" of my Jeep...

So I'm a bit more interested in ride quality and performance or a happy medium of the two... Next on the list is gonna be a Prodigy or Ripp supercharger ��
Your performance dealer wasn't listening to you. Jerk, I'd say.

For the kind of driving you do and what you want from a ride on pavement, mud tires are a very poor choice. It would seem that a set of ATs with good snow performance is what would serve your needs best.

The Nitto Terra Grappler is an AT tire that runs nicely on pavement and also performs well on off-road trails. Looks good too! I'm not sure how it performs on snow, though. You might want to look into them?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Saying I don't find the ride harsh with my E Load Rated MT tire is subjective.

Saying a C Load Rated tire.... all else equal... will ride softer, smoother than an E Rated tire is just a fact. An E Load Rating will ride harsher than the more flexible, softer, lighter, more responsive C Load Rated sidewall. And the tread, with a lot less structure, will conform better to obstacles even aired down.

Given that all my flats have occurred with E Rated tires I would not say they are any more puncture resistant than a C Load Rating.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Saying I don't find the ride harsh with my E Load Rated MT tire is subjective.
billiebob... you'd best stay with C rated tires, especially where you live (cold as ice).

One man's ceiling is another man's floor. :happyyes:

As for our Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17R LT E-rated tires, living where we live (warm, sunny climate), we love 'em and find the ride to be enjoyably comfortable running at 28 psi., not harsh. And remember, ride quality results from a complete system and has to do with a lot more than just tires (shocks, suspension, yada yada). We will replace them with same when the time comes, as we do a good bit of off-road wheeling.

There are many different needs and preferences when it comes to tires, thus, so many different choices when it comes to tire selection. Go with whatever floats yer boat and enjoy life.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
"Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17R LT E-rated tires, living where we live (warm, sunny climate), we love 'em and find the ride to be enjoyably comfortable running at 28 psi., not harsh"

yes, but take all those things and buy it in a C Load Range... if it were available... and..

We hit 100F here too in the summer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts