Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well first of all TJ's dont have leaf springs. The YJ had them but when the TJ came they had coil springs. Check your shocks, make sure they arent leaking or anything. Offroad tires can stiffen up your ride too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bmbillups said:
Well first of all TJ's dont have leaf springs. The YJ had them but when the TJ came they had coil springs. Check your shocks, make sure they arent leaking or anything. Offroad tires can stiffen up your ride too.
Sorry my buddy was on here and has a tj and posted on the wrong thresd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some good quality shocks like Rancho 9000XL's or the Bilstein 5100's are awesome choices that will help a lot with the ride quality. Make sure your tires are at the proper pressure as well.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
Sorry my buddy was on here and has a tj and posted on the wrong thresd
I'm confused... what kind of Jeep has the rough ride. Your buddy's TJ with coil springs or some other Jeep that has leaf springs?

One more question about the Jeep with the rough ride... what size tires are on it and exactly what air pressure is in those tires?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
I'm confused... what kind of Jeep has the rough ride. Your buddy's TJ with coil springs or some other Jeep that has leaf springs?

One more question about the Jeep with the rough ride... what size tires are on it and exactly what air pressure is in those tires?
It's my yj with 33s with 35psi

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
It's my yj with 33s with 35psi
35 psi in 33" tires is the main problem causing your rough ride. You should be running 26-28 psi at the most in that size tire... 26 with just you in the Jeep, 28 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded. Next, leaf spring suspensions need a softer shock than coil spring suspensions do to produce similar rides. Exactly what shock are you running on your YJ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
35 psi in 33" tires is the main problem causing your rough ride. You should be running 26-28 psi at the most in that size tire... 26 with just you in the Jeep, 28 psi when the Jeep is fully loaded. Next, leaf spring suspensions need a softer shock than coil spring suspensions do to produce similar rides. Exactly what shock are you running on your YJ?

Thanks ill try lowering the tire pressure and see how it rides and my shocks are like some no name brand i guess, they just say ultra on them i have also been lookin at better shocks since i broke both rear shock mounts i figures new shocks wouldnt hurt as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have been looking into a way to make my ride on my 1990 yj softer as well, found a set of suspension revolver shackles, pretty cheap. they are a very simple design, easy to install, and put a smoother ride, while keeping tension off of the leaf springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
they are really good at taking some of the tension off of the leaf springs, it absorbs more of the smaller potholes and things in the roads. if you remove the track bars and put revolver shackles on, it helps quite a bit. few buddies of mine back in california messed around with them for awhile, if you get the better ones, it smooths out the ride noticeably.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts