Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Here's my initial thoughts about the tan top I installed over the last weekend.

Wife really wanted one for our off road trips (she said with the premium top our jeep looks too much like a mall crawler on the trail, lol :) )

RoughCountry running special on it, so I've got the top for $99 and also bought a matching frame from 2008 JK on CL

Pros:

1) Its tan :cool:
2) Its cheap
3) Fit is good. Installation on the frame was easy. All zippers close nice and smooth.
4) No leaks (had jeep sitting on the driveway in the rain all night, no signs of leakage inside)
5) No flapping or excess noise. Drove it 70-75 mph on the highway, overall noise level comparable to a regular soft top and a bit louder than my premium top.

Cons:

1) Material is really thin. Probably 1/2 thickness of a regular top. For my use as a summer/trail top its not really a con. In fact I love how small and flat it folds, but if you're looking for permanent replacement of your worn out top - you better look for something more robust.

Again, I have it for less than a week, so actual longevity is still to be determined.

2) Because material is thin, its has more wrinkles than regular top.

3) Strong plastic smell. After a few days its not as strong, but still noticeable. Hope it'll go away eventually.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Keep us posted on how well the top handles the heat and exposer to the elements assuming this is going to be your permanent top. We're interested in other colors also.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks good. Mine's been fine since 2015. It's survived 2 NE Ohio winters with no issues. No leaks at all. I've been very pleased with my RC top.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jeep Wrangler swing gate mounted rear window

Last year I purchased a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with a factory black soft top. I had a Rough Country “spice” convertible top installed to coordinate with the dark green exterior and saddle leather interior colors. I was not happy with the limited access afforded by OEM/Aftermarket fixed zip in rear window/hold down bar systems. A Google search did not reveal any commercially available rear swing gate mounted windows. Being familiar with the 50s-60s sport car roadster Plexiglas door windows, I designed and had fabricated the ideal rear window (photos attached) for the Jeep Wrangler. The window makes convertible tops much more convenient for all Wranglers. Before installation, I had my upholsterer line the top and make a window storage bag with green diamond quilted fabric (visible in the “open” view).
The locking post hinges allow for adjustment to match the rear rake angle of any particular top, while facilitating folding the posts for compact storage. Installation is strait forward; involving mounting the 2 brackets to the top bar of the swing gate with stainless self-tapping screws and trimming the Plexiglas to fit the individual top rear opening. The bracket attached toggle clamps prevent rattling and permit the almost instantaneous mounting and removal of the window without tools or lose parts.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts