Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m trying to route electrical power from the battery in the engine compartment to an area in the back near the passenger side of the side panel near the tailgate.

I think the most convenient and safest route should follow the roll bar from the rear. Does anyone know where I can route the cable from the passenger compartment to the engine bay? Is there a good route under the instrument panel?
Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts

Same idea, just on passenger side. Pop off the panel on the right side, use a screwdriver to open a hole up in that foam, and send the wire through.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would not use the roll bar to route power and ground cables, too many chances for something to dig into it and cause a short.
Pull up the carpet if you still have it and run along the factory cables in the inside corner of the tub (Jeep body)
Most IMPORTANT, fuse each end of a run that long, last thing you want is a slow burn short that starts a fire.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
You know this, I'm going to say it anyway.
Properly size the wire, and run both. Don't rely on the body for your ground.

·
Super Moderator
23,391 Posts
Are you actually running battery cable?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm running the 4 gauge battery cable from the rear passenger side of the Jeep, under the carpeting, through the passenger side hole, to the power center using a (3/8th?) lug.I need a circuit breaker and/or fuse in the circuit. I do not want to be the cause of a wire.

I'm encasing the batter cable in wiring loom and using UL rated electrical tape to secure the loom to the cable.

I got the idea from this video:

The battery cable will be run behind a Goose Gear panel.

This is being done to support the extra electrical devices that I might need. The fridge will go to this or the ARB electrical outlet I have which is going to run to the passenger side of the center console.

·
Super Moderator
23,391 Posts
reason I ask is you might consider running it thru the frame.

Reactions: rednroll

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
You know this, I'm going to say it anyway.
Properly size the wire, and run both. Don't rely on the body for your ground.
What is your reasoning for this?

Just a body bolt no, but a seat belt bolt or one holding the sport bar should work.
Something of good size with meaty threads and make sure its paint free on all sides.
Keep the ground as short as you can, no need for a 15ft ground.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Makes sense.
This weekend I'll be taking string and measuring the length that I'll need and then cutting a hole in my Goose Gear panel. Measure twice cut once.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
What is your reasoning for this?
Body ground is OK for lights, but if you are drawing any real power, I prefer a solid battery connection.
Now with newer vehicles that have a monitor on the neg side, it could cause problems. using the frame might be better.
Your choice, I'll run the wire.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Body ground is OK for lights, but if you are drawing any real power, I prefer a solid battery connection.
I'd honestly never heard this thinking. Even my winch is body grounded.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I'd honestly never heard this thinking. Even my winch is body grounded.

Yeah, I wouldn't follow that advice. Your frame is connected to about 2 tons of steal, the negative terminal of the battery is connected to your frame. So in other words, you can't buy a wire thick enough that will be able to transfer more power to the rear of the vehicle than the frame.

If you run any additional ground wire from the neg terminal of the battery, it should just be an additional or thicker short wire run from the negative terminal to the chassis in parallel to the chassis wire run that is already there.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
reason I ask is you might consider running it thru the frame.

This is the easiest and best run to the rear in my opinion. I have 2 Awg, 4 Awg and 8awg wire runs from my Positive post, run through my frame rails to the rear. They're powering 4K watts of amplifiers, a Rear winch, and 2 rear mounted air compressors. Be sure to get good wire with thick insulation and be sure to wrap that inside some wire loom. Even if you're doing internal wire runs, use wire loom for safety reasons. That way you're double protected from potential damage. There's good reasons all your stock wiring has wire loom around it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For me the most practical is underneath the carpeting. I've already bought the wire loom. The 4 gauge cable has been ordered. This will probably be a spring time project. A couple of flexible solar panels on the roof would also be nice on down the road. Being self sufficient while camping or on the road is the goal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts