Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Having less experience with Jeeps and cars than most here, I'm always trying to learn so I can be a little more independent. That being said, I'm trying to figure out what things to check on a more regular basis. Whether it's just the oil level or your U-joints, what do you guys check on a regular basis?

·
Registered
483 Posts
In addition to routine checking of fluids, the first weekend of the month, I have a list on a white board in the garage. Since my Jeep is lifted, I marked all track bar and control arm bolts with a paint pen when they were re-torqued. I look at each of these and if anything looks like it moved, or if the paint has worn off the torque wrench comes out, torque checked and repaint the bolts if needed. Front aftermarket drive shaft bolts are checked as well as u joints for movement. I have wheel spacers since I still run factory wheels so I jack up the front to check ball joints, unit bearings and give a shake to check tie rod ends too, also check axle u-joints. When rotating tires (somewhere between 4-5k miles) I check the torque on the wheel spacer bolts 10 ft-lbs less than where they should be so as not to disturb the locktite. Last thing is I grab an allen wrench and just check the bolts on my cage to make sure everything there is still good.

Now some of this might be considered overkill, but grab a favorite adult beverage and it really doesn't take long to do. Also makes you get more familiar with your Jeep and that is always a good thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts