Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back I noticed that when I would begin slowing down and coming to a complete stop, I noticed the rpms seems to drop a little and the it seems to "shudder".

I don't know that it has anything to do with it or if it was just bad timing but, I noticed it shortly after my ABS/ESP lights came on, I assumed it would go away after I replaced the bad wheel speed sensor. I ended up doing a lot of work on the Jeep this weekend, including new u-joints, new unit bearings, new wheel speeds sensors all the way around, and new brakes and rotors all the way around.
My lights are now off and everything is working as expected, except for this odd shudder when stopping. If I am just slowing down and don't get below 10-15 MPH, it doesn't seem to do it, only when coming to a complete stop.

Any ideas? The Jeep seems to run completely normal other than this one oddity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That happened to me a couple weeks back. I've been trying to pay attention to see if it happens again but so far it hasn't.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, mine does it every time. Surely someone else has experienced this, hopefully they will chime in!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Don't know much yet about Jeeps, but Honda S2000 would do this if the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve needed cleaning. The MAP sensor was also sometimes the problem. Carbon would get into the sensor hole. They would clean it by tapping it and called it the MAP Whack.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know much yet about Jeeps, but Honda S2000 would do this if the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve needed cleaning. The MAP sensor was also sometimes the problem. Carbon would get into the sensor hole. They would clean it by tapping it and called it the MAP Whack.
Thanks, I read that somewhere yesterday about TB and IAC cleaning, it's at the top of the to-do list.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i had this with a previous car, got some bad gas at a filling station and it ran like crap for 6 months after. once i started getting good gas in it again it started getting better but took a while to get back to normal...

may not be the issue here but might be worth looking at just to make sure..

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had this happen on my old 1984 cj-7. It was a combination of things. New brake booster and a new alternator and it was working great again. I know it sounds crazy, but once we replaced those two things, it ran great! Have you run through deep water or somehow got water up in the engine compartment, may be electrical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but my Jeep has been doing this for some time now. Any thoughts on what I should check to start with?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
2007 JK - Daughter had same issue. I cleaned the TB and replaced the plugs and wires. Problem was fixed but I can't say for sure which of these items fixed the problem. I cleaned the throttle body with TB cleaner but I did not pull it off. Just sprayed it in, wiped with a rag and sprayed more while keeping it running.

2006 Jeep Liberty - Same issue, cleaned throttle body and replaced IAC. On this one I pulled the throttle body to clean it and while I had it off I just replaced the IAC. The Liberty runs great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2013 JKU was occasionally stalling when the RPMs would drop like was being described in the original post. After some research online I replaced the crank shaft sensor. It cost about $18 and took 10 minutes to do. The stalling and dropping RPMs have stopped...for me. Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts