Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Wangler Sport, 3.6 L, manual tranny, 28k miles. About 4000 miles since last oil change, by dealer. While driving the engine speed would suddenly be limited at about 3.5k RPM. Would accelerate to 3.1k, then crawl up to 3.5k and then hold there. Various trouble light s would come on, notably the ABS light. Took it to dealer for check (and oil change). Dealer's tech was stumped, half a dozen trouble codes in computer; finally checked online service notes and found out that this problem can occur if the engine oil level is low! They checked and sure 'nuff it was off the dipstick. Changed oil, cleared codes, running great.

I may be an idiot for not checking the oil level more often, but why would it use over two quarts of oil in 4k miles? There are no visible leaks.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Because, some 3.8 and 3.6 JK engines use more oil than others, but all engines use some oil, that's normal. You can never go 4,000 miles without checking your oil level. You really should be checking it every three weeks max or every third fill up max, depending on how much oil your engine seems to be using. If it seems like you're using more oil check it sooner. 2qts. plus or minus in 4,000 miles isn't considered a problem with these engines. Older vehicles I've had never seemed to use oil to the extent that it was noticeable, but back then we were changing it at 3,000 miles on average. Plus, after the last oil change by the dealer how do you know it wasn't somewhat low to begin with if you didn't check it after they changed it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turned out it was using oil at about one quart every 500 miles. Took it back to dealer when I used over 3 quarts in 1600 miles.

They started a Jeep warranty fix that started with an "oil consumption test" where Jeep required them to fill it up and would not allow me to even check the oil for 1000 miles. Took it back and they decided that it did, indeed, use too much oil. They then went through a series of tests ordered by Jeep (each test requiring 3 to 5 days for Jeep to authorize) that took about a month to complete before tearing it down to discover weird things happening with the rings - oil ring gaps lined up with a groove on the piston! On two cylinders the combustion chambers were loaded with carbon from the burnt oil. Dealer wanted to put in a short block but jeep has ordered them to just replace the rings and one piston. I objected and found out after a week that there is no way to appeal this idiotic decision.

Corporate America sucks. Why anybody would want to replace the dumb government with this bunch of dumber idiots is beyond me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts