Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 4.2 automatic. My max rpm is about 2800 peddle to th metal. I know I have a few holes in my exhaust system. Could this be where my problem is? I feel like I shoud be getting a lot more rpm's. My top speed is about 65.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
No you have other issues going on. Is it dieing? Cutting out? Then sounds like you have a diesel lol

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you have a Cat. Conv. that could be your problem. When they're clogged you have a loss of high end power, and sometimes there are no other symptoms. Seems like your exhaust is due for some maintenance. I replaced mine in my 89 4.2 and now I have all the power I need. Before I couldn't get it to go up a hill.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you have a Cat. Conv. that could be your problem. When they're clogged you have a loss of high end power, and sometimes there are no other symptoms. Seems like your exhaust is due for some maintenance. I replaced mine in my 89 4.2 and now I have all the power I need. Before I couldn't get it to go up a hill.
yup i had the same issue, try banging the cat with a rubber mallet or something made of plastic and listen for stuff rattling around inside there. If you hear rattling most likely chunks of the cat element have broken off and it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure my whole exhaust system is ready for an upgrade! Anybody have any recommendations? I'm going to start there, I have a feeling that could solve my problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts