Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K can you let me know if this is normal for jeeps
I'm changing gears at the speeds recommended by the owners manual and I never go over 2 rpm.
Example. Switching from 2nd to third. Start 2nd at about 20 kph (12 mph) and the revs are about 1.2 rpm. I'll get my speed up to 40 kph (25mph) to change into 3rd. My rpms would be at about 2

I think this is really low compared to other 4wds I've been in or even manual cars. Can anyone let me know if this is normal or if it's time for a new gear ratio.

Thanks again
(ps this forum is a huge help as jeep tjs and older aren't very popular here. The jks are gaining in popularity but it's cheaper to order parts from the USA and ship it here)

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
i think your shifting too early, i regurlary shift at 2k and above, i just shift when the motor tells me

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My cruising speed at 65 mph/ 102k has my RPMs at right around 2200.. I very rarely wrap it up any higher. In fact I usually shift off of idle from 1st to 2nd, then progressively up to 5th.. Merging unto a busy interstate though is a different matter, I'll wrap it up as necessary to merge on safely at interstate speeds.. Wrapping up to 3,000 plus RPMs habitually is just blowing gas out the pipe.. I average 16 to 18 mpg with my 4:11s

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Btw,, yes it is normal for jeeps, they are all about low end torque,,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys. I normally just change gears with the sound of the engine. Just seemed that it sounds like it's over revving around 2 rpms.

As far as crusing down the highway in 5th going 100 kph (65 mph) it's still running just a tad below 2. As for going as high as 3 rpms only seen that when I'm trying to turn onto a busy street from 1st to 2nd.

Cheers for all the threads

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
With my 4.6 I shift 2200 to 2500, if I am pushing it 3000. Yes, the higher the shift point the more gas goes out the exhaust. But my engine is happiest, before and after the build, at 2200 to 2500. Coincidentally (not), that is also where I get my best gas mileage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts