Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lifting the Rubicon, the wife insisted on some kind of step. After doing some searching around, I decided to do the RSE step sliders. You can see them and watch the videos of the trail tests on their websight but here is their You Tube Video...

Rock Slide Engineering, Step-Slider - YouTube

I installed them by my self today in the driveway. The fit was perfect. and the wiring harness and control module were a snap to install. Took me about six hours, but about an hour of that was trimming the back of my Bushwackers so the rocker panel mount would fit behind them. When we went to pick up our bumpers and have the lift put on, my wife saw these on a Jeep at Mount Logan Off Road and immediately said, "Buy them." Here are some pics from the install...

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RSE Step Slider lighting

The wiring harness also comes set up to accommodate putting lighting inside the steps that actuates when the steps fold down, a nice touch for old farts like me that can't see so good in the dark... I put two twelve inch LED strips inside each step. This is a poor pic, but you get the idea...

IMG_0091.JPG

·
Registered
486 Posts
Those are freakin sweet! I was going to go with the Poison Spider ones, but I think I just changed my mind. As sad as it sounds, the rocker steps are going to be my first "big" purchase. I'm short and already have to step on my tip toes and do a small jump to get in and out of my stock ride height Rubi. One question though... how much weight do these support?

EDIT: Waaaait just saw the price...:(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if there is a rating on them or not, I stood on one with another guy about my size, so there would have been about 450 to 475 lbs on it. And they are not budget priced.
But they are worth every penny in my opinion. Especially for the wife and grandkids to be able to get in and out safely when the ground is icy, or without hanging on the doors to do it, or sliding off the edge of the seats every time they get out. I doubt I will ever do much severe rock crawling, but it's nice to know they offer the same amount of protection that the stock rock rails would give me. And they are also about 4 inches wide, so that will come in handy too.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
Tough to clean mud out of that mechanism if you go wheeling.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Others that have them say they don't get much mud inside. There are only three moving parts and the linear actuator is fairly well protected. The 1inch actuator ram works about the same as a stearing stabilizer or any hydraulic ram. I will find out I guess, but that was one of my big concerns when I was looking at them...that and how frozen slush snow etc... might hinder them.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Others that have them say they don't get much mud inside. There are only three moving parts and the linear actuator is fairly well protected. The 1inch actuator ram works about the same as a stearing stabilizer or any hydraulic ram. I will find out I guess, but that was one of my big concerns when I was looking at them...that and how frozen slush snow etc... might hinder them.
Hey I'm looking at these now. Any word on the snow/mud etc. getting in there and messing them up? Also how far when closed does the slider stick out from the body? I'm also looking for protection from the idiots that lime to open their car doors and hit our Jeeps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Great looking steps and nice job on the install. Question, the biggest problem with electric drop steps is things stripping out and what not so what would happen if there was a unknown object below the step and you opened your door. Does the step just stop if it hit something before it was able to get to full open?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Great looking steps and nice job on the install. Question, the biggest problem with electric drop steps is things stripping out and what not so what would happen if there was a unknown object below the step and you opened your door. Does the step just stop if it hit something before it was able to get to full open?
Yeah I read that it will stop and return to the "tucked away" position if something blocks it from opening fully. Got that off of their website. I don't know why I'm skeptical about this product. I wonder about the weight limit and the crud building up in it over time hindering its performance. Extra moving parts can mean more problems but it is a really nice concept.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got them and they will take hard hits..I've used them to pivot around rocks when needed. went through 3' deep muddy water on the 60th jamboree last year..very little got inside. To clean just open and hose out. Sure helps getting in the JK for older passengers.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I've got them and they will take hard hits..I've used them to pivot around rocks when needed. went through 3' deep muddy water on the 60th jamboree last year..very little got inside. To clean just open and hose out. Sure helps getting in the JK for older passengers.
That's good to know. I guess minimal maintenance is required like greasing the moving parts?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
These would make my wife happy. Going to see what she says.

thanks for the input!

edit: $1800 ?!?! fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge! :eek:

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm not happy with my Rock Slide Engineering Slide Steps....they just don't work.

Took over 2 weeks to get them, shop installed and the steps last week and the steps would not deploy. Called Rock Slide and they sent a new control box.

I'm at the shop now and this control box doesn't work....steps deploy down but will not go back up. The shops tech has tried everything and triple checked the wiring, by passed things and the steps do not work properly.

So it will be another week to get Rock Slide to send another box out......VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

I'm getting very frustrated with this product and company. I feel I've wasted $2500 on these steps....I bought the light kit and door delete kit hoping for a great set up.

Having a full left leg prosthetic make getting in the jeep difficult and I was hoping these Rock Slide Engineering Slide Steps would be my answer.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Called Rock Slide this morning and got them hooked up with the tech at my Tampa 4wheel parts and they got everything sorted out. The steps, delete kit and light work awesome...FINALLY.

Never thought this would be such a hard install to get everything working.

I called Rock Slide Engineering back this afternoon to thank them for the help with the shops tech.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone else concerned with the exposed door jamb wiring and magnets final position marked by a permanent marker?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=JK4-STEP-SLIDER-INSTALLATION-RSEI-106.pdf&line=RSE

It seems the installation could be cleaned up a little to provide a professional installed appearance with hidden wires and mounted magnets to complement the functional rock slider steps. I can just see my grand kids pulling at the wires and playing with the magnets. Hopefully these instructions are old and the installation is now more polished.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Anyone else concerned with the exposed door jamb wiring and magnets final position marked by a permanent marker?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=JK4-STEP-SLIDER-INSTALLATION-RSEI-106.pdf&line=RSE

It seems the installation could be cleaned up a little to provide a professional installed appearance with hidden wires and mounted magnets to complement the functional rock slider steps. I can just see my grand kids pulling at the wires and playing with the magnets. Hopefully these instructions are old and the installation is now more polished.

On mine I put some 5 minute epoxy around the magnets after I put them on. Then on the wires I got a small piece of aluminum tape and painted it the color of my JKU and fastened the wires down between the sensor and the trim. If I was ambitious I would drill a small hole next to the sensor and run the wires thru it and put a connector on the back side. That might happen....

·
Registered
9 Posts
On mine I put some 5 minute epoxy around the magnets after I put them on. Then on the wires I got a small piece of aluminum tape and painted it the color of my JKU and fastened the wires down between the sensor and the trim. If I was ambitious I would drill a small hole next to the sensor and run the wires thru it and put a connector on the back side. That might happen....
I had back surgery recently and couldn't step up from the from the ground into my Jeep, especially with a 20 pound lifting/pulling weight limit. The quick fix was the AMP Research power steps installed by my local jeep dealer, but these won't survive rock crawlin' and can't be submerged fording a creek (water resistant not water proof motors). I'm seriously planning a 6.4L HEMI conversion. When I do I'll have the RSE step sliders put in with epoxied magnets and properly hidden wires. They make two types, one with and one without body armor. Any recommendations one way or the other?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts