Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have no idea if this has been tried before, but I figured I had to try it once I had the idea.

Bought a cheap 2 lbs Rubber Mallet. I think it was $3-4.

Hacked it up with a sawsall.....

ShoeGoo'ed the Rubber to the to lower spring plate...

It meets up with the upper bumpstop before my 33"s contact my fender flares (about 3/4" fender flare clearance.)

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
So I have no idea if this has been tried before, but I figured I had to try it once I had the idea.
It meets up with the upper bumpstop before my 33"s contact my fender flares (about 3/4" fender flare clearance.)
you do realize the jounce bumper will fully compress into the cup, right? and you understand that the grainy picture you showed above, of the jounce bumper just touching your rubber mallet, is basically irrelevent, right?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you do realize the jounce bumper will fully compress into the cup, right? and you understand that the grainy picture you showed above, of the jounce bumper just touching your rubber mallet, is basically irrelevent, right?
Yeah, that pic was for gluing alignment. ;)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far so good with 2 days of testing. Suspension flexs\cycles while disco'ed with no fender rubbing as I had hoped. It will be interesting to see how long the shoogoo holds.

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
So far so good with 2 days of testing. Suspension flexs\cycles while disco'ed with no fender rubbing as I had hoped. It will be interesting to see how long the shoogoo holds.

:thumb:
ehh, if your lucks like mine, it'll hold till you need it to.:whistling:

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
ehh, if your lucks like mine, it'll hold till you need it to.:whistling:
Mine didn't hold either (used hockey pucks). The spring held it in and I didn't notice until I got off the trail. I'll be drilling and tapping the perches for a more permanent mounting solution. I've had the time, just too lazy lately with the weather and knowing I won't be wheeling again until spring most likely.

If you do drill and tap, don't torque down too much. The rubber will eventually crack. mrblaine from BMB did a 5-10 ftlb test with a hockey puck and it cracked after a short period of time just sitting in his office.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/great-hockey-puck-seat-riser-debate-1074733/

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
yup...rubber doesn't work too well if you plan to drill a hole in it and torque it down....

For cheap, sturdy, bolt-down bumpstop extensions, I still find Performance Accessories body lift pucks hard to beat...
:thumb: I got mine from Zone since they offered them in different heights. I needed more BS in the front than the back.

OP, if you are determined to make this a DIY solution, you might be able to score some solid rod plastic or aluminum online or local scrap to suit your needs for a bolt on fix.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understood...So what I think I am testing the most now is how well/long the mallet rubber bonds with the shoegoo and metal.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP, if you are determined to make this a DIY solution, you might be able to score some solid rod plastic or aluminum online or local scrap to suit your needs for a bolt on fix.
Yeah, I can fabricate..I have a mig welder and some general metal working stuff so I can easily make my own extensions, but this was one of those, "I wonder if it will work" things that I wanted to try... and if it does then maybe other can utilize it too.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The rubber tends to loose its bond when expanding or flexing. I used the solid pucks, same as body lift pucks from Zone and expoxied them on the perch as well. It has been on there for about 6 months I guess and there is no problem whatsoever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts