Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler SE 4 Banger 5 Speed Man Tranny...... I heard a loud pop/noise which seemed to come from the rear end of the Jeep. Since then I hear thumping like noise coming from somewhere in the rear of the Jeep. Drivin me crazy. The noise seems to get faster with the faster rotation of the wheels..... usually below 20 MPH. Since the noise has started I have.........

(1) Changed the front axle joints
(2) Changed both U Joints in rear shaft
(3) Driven Jeep with/without front/rear shafts
(4) Removed rear wheels and checked brakes
(5) Removed front wheels and checked for loose calipers
(6) Checked exhaust system for rattling
(7) Jacked rear wheels off ground to pin point noise
(8) Checked all u joints again!!!
(9) Checked fluid in rear differential

Any ideas would be appreciated..................

·
Registered
83 Posts
My guess is a rear axle bearing or broken teeth on a spider gear. I'd say a bad pinion bearing but you should have noticed any slop in the pinion when you were changing the rear u joints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..... there is slop in the pinion..... but I thought it was within reason! maybe not..... gonna check the pinion nut Saturday and then go from there! Really weird thing is I cannot hear it with the back end jacked off the ground. I bought this ole Jeep to play with but I love it so much I am gonna drive it too work.... maybe??? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks..... there is slop in the pinion..... but I thought it was within reason! maybe not..... gonna check the pinion nut Saturday and then go from there! Really weird thing is I cannot hear it with the back end jacked off the ground. I bought this ole Jeep to play with but I love it so much I am gonna drive it too work.... maybe??? Thanks for your input!
Take the rear differential cover off and look inside. It's easy and will tell you quickly what has gone wrong (I side with MSgt Luttrell about damage in the rear diff). If not, then you're lucky and it just cost you the gear oil and a gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man.... gonna do that Saturday at my buddy's garage!! Hope it is not all jacked up inside but i have a feeling it is!! Will keep u guys informed of what I find out..... maybe it will help someone else!! Appreciate tour insight!! Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts