Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting an 07 Sahara Unlimited in the next month or so and have been looking at a few lifts. I was looking at the Teraflex 2.5" kit with their shocks. It says that you have to use wheels with 4.5" or less of back spacing. I really like the Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheels and they have 4.75" of back spacing. Would it rub too much? What are my options besides just finding another wheel?

I have had quite a few older wranglers but I have never lifted any of them so this is new to me.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
53,779 Posts
Bullitt said:
I am getting an 07 Sahara Unlimited in the next month or so and have been looking at a few lifts. I was looking at the Teraflex 2.5" kit with their shocks. It says that you have to use wheels with 4.5" or less of back spacing. I really like the Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheels and they have 4.75" of back spacing. Would it rub too much? What are my options besides just finding another wheel?

I have had quite a few older wranglers but I have never lifted any of them so this is new to me.

Thanks
My god, there are tons to choose from.

I don't think you would have a problem though , the backspacing required is so the wheel clears the new longer swaybar links.

Have you considered a 15" or 16"?
Tires are a bit cheaper with a smaller wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the world of choices seems to be endless, but I am pretty sold on those particular wheels. I talked with one of the quadratec tech's and he seemed to think that I would be good to go with a 1.5" spacer and go to a max of an 11.5 inch tire. I wouldn't go that wide, but I just want to make sure I am not going to rub.

I would go with a 15 or 16, but they don't offer those wheels in that size. I also like the Mickey Thompson Sidebiter, but it is the same story. I have only found them in 17x9 with the correct bolt pattern.

·
Super Moderator
53,779 Posts
Bullitt said:
Yeah the world of choices seems to be endless, but I am pretty sold on those particular wheels. I talked with one of the quadratec tech's and he seemed to think that I would be good to go with a 1.5" spacer and go to a max of an 11.5 inch tire. I wouldn't go that wide, but I just want to make sure I am not going to rub.

I would go with a 15 or 16, but they don't offer those wheels in that size. I also like the Mickey Thompson Sidebiter, but it is the same story. I have only found them in 17x9 with the correct bolt pattern.
I'm with you on the Sidebiter, love that rim.

Contact Discount Tire on here. I myself could not justify the amount it would Cost for bigger tires on 17's AND spacers :eek:

Have you seen any of the 33" Duratrac x15 "MB72 tire/wheel combo threads?

Might change your mind :whistling:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x12-5r15-goodyear-duratracs-installed-pics-and-video-96568.html

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
If I'd had 4.75" backspacing, my tires would've rubbed the swaybar links that came with my lift (it was really close, even with 4.5bs).

Do as kjeeper said...contact the DTD forum vendor. They'll tell you whether or not the spacers are necessary.

·
Super Moderator
53,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Very close :)

What did you end up doing?
While it was on the lift, my rear axle was off just a bit...that's why I had the problem in the first place. I was all ready to order wheel spacers, but the next morning we put it on the ground and adjusted the rear tb, kind've as a last-ditch effort, and everything lined up.

After that we raised it back up, put the endlinks on the way they were supposed to go, then set her back down and torqued everything to specs. No problemo! :D

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

Thanks

Since your getting 9" wheels you will be fine with 4.75 bs. The 4.5" is for 8" wheels. Since you are using 9" wheels the tires hang over .5" less then on a 8" wheel. Therefore you can get by with a 5" bs.

A 8" wide wheel with 4.5" bs and a 9"wheel with a 5" bs will result in the tire being in the exact same offset of 0. And offset is an easier look at where the tire actually will set.

And since your 9" wheels have a 4.75" bs you actually have a better clearance then those with 8" wheels and 4.5" bs by 1/4 inch

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
They really should list the offset and not the backspace. Backspace is subjective depending on wheel size(width) while offset is precise no matter how wide the wheel is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe that the offset is 12mm on the Rugged Ridge wheels.

So far my immediate plans are...

Rugged Ridge 17x9 wheels
Nitto Terra Grapplers LT285/75R17 (fairly certain on the size) somewhere between 33-34"
TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks
Possibly a spacer pending a conversation with the Discount Tire rep on here

Not really related to the above, but I will probably have the hard top painted to match the body color.

Any other suggestions or things you would change? Keep in mind this is going to primarily going to be a DD with the occasional mud hole/novice trail ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts