Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing out the system this last weekend:

2d Rubi Recon

While in 4 lo...

I would press the axle lock buttons, they would blink for a bit, then turn solid.

The second I move they start blinking again.

I have no idea if they locked or not, but seems a bit weird. I tried many times:
flat, incline/decline, uneven/even ground. Same story. The only major difference is moving=blinking, stationary (after engaging and waiting a sec)=solid.

I retested several times today on a dirt lot and same thing. Neither light will stay solid once in motion. The front one was real finicky even more to get it solid while stopped.

The only mod electrically speaking is a GPS, glass break, and kill switch but I'm not sure those would be hooked up to that in any way and whether they would do anything to that system in the first place.

Any ideas? Too impatient? Not cursing enough at the Jeep? Bigger hammer?Want to make sure I'm not missing something before hauling off to dealer for warranty claim.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Testing out the system this last weekend:

2d Rubi Recon

While in 4 lo...

I would press the axle lock buttons, they would blink for a bit, then turn solid.

The second I move they start blinking again.

I have no idea if they locked or not, but seems a bit weird. I tried many times:

flat, incline/decline, uneven/even ground. Same story. The only major difference is moving=blinking, stationary (after engaging and waiting a sec)=solid.

I retested several times today on a dirt lot and same thing. Neither light will stay solid once in motion. The front one was real finicky even more to get it solid while stopped.

The only mod electrically speaking is a GPS, glass break, and kill switch but I'm not sure those would be hooked up to that in any way and whether they would do anything to that system in the first place.

Any ideas? Too impatient? Not cursing enough at the Jeep? Bigger hammer?Want to make sure I'm not missing something before hauling off to dealer for warranty claim.

The e-lockers can be a bit finicky. I just decided I should try mine out this last week and owned my Jeep since last October. They can take a while to engage/disengage when you first start to use them.

Quick question- when they do lock are you in drive with your foot on the brake? I noticed that I would press the button and still be in neutral (right after the shift to 4-low) then when I shift to D and roll they would start blinking.

When in drive sometimes you need to drive forward a few yards to get them to engage. At least that's what mine do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
One thing to check. Try turning the wheel. If the rear is locked and there is any traction, you will feel the rear oscillating. If the front is locked up the steering will get very stiff.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did do it while in drive, moving and stopped. Can't remember if I tried the whole thing while in neutral. Also, didn't check with the wheel turned. I will give it a couple more tries in a bit and report back.

IM

·
Registered
118 Posts
My rear locker sometimes does the same thing. If the light starts blinking again, I try different maneuvers until it engages: backing up slowly in straight line or while steering; move forward slowly straight or steering; shift to neutral while coasting slowly forward or reverse, straight or steering. Soon the locker engages.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The factory nanny system is terrible.

I have e-lockers on my XJ. No B.S. Switch on and off, locker on and off. I don't think I've seen a work around mod for this.

The factory sway bar disconnect is terrible too. I kind of look forward to mine failing so I can install the manual system.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

I have e-lockers on my XJ. No B.S. Switch on and off, locker on and off. I don't think I've seen a work around mod for this.

The factory sway bar disconnect is terrible too. I kind of look forward to mine failing so I can install the manual system.
Liability is why they build them that way. For the Smart bar. most issues result from the mechanism getting fouled by water. I took mine apart when I was at 105k and it was filled with crap. Cleaned it out with brake cleaner, threw in a handful of axle grease and reassembled and rotated it when I reinstalled it. Works fine now.

·
Registered
721 Posts

There are a few writeups out there on Rubicon locker bypasses. One diagram I saw had wiring configurations to either all them to be switched off in 2hi, 4hi -any speed, or 4hi-speed restriction in place. Most folks just install two 12v/20A toggle switches to do it.

I've already had one sway bar disconnect replaced under warranty at 8K miles. The system doesn't inspire confidence lol. For when I'm out of warranty and it fails I've placed the evo manual disconnect in my q-tech wish list lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get them both on, and the ride was nice and tight so I'm positive that they were actually locked...

They did take a bit of coaxing the first time, def starting in neutral makes better to start the rear locker. Even then, had to roll like 25-30 meters before full engagement for both, which seems a little pointless if you ended up needing even one in a snap.

However... the more I went back and forth locking and unlocking and driving around, the more "readily" they fully engaged. So I would definitely propose a "use it or lose it" prescription. Engage them every so often so they engage when you do need them, at least sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was able to get them both on, and the ride was nice and tight so I'm positive that they were actually locked...

They did take a bit of coaxing the first time, def starting in neutral makes better to start the rear locker. Even then, had to roll like 25-30 meters before full engagement for both, which seems a little pointless if you ended up needing even one in a snap.

However... the more I went back and forth locking and unlocking and driving around, the more "readily" they fully engaged. So I would definitely propose a "use it or lose it" prescription. Engage them every so often so they engage when you do need them, at least sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the help!

Keep at em! I've got mine to fully engage now after rolling a foot or two. Also, not sure if it made a difference but I just changed the diff fluid over to fill synthetic 75w90. I've heard that can help with sticking also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts