Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere on here that someone looked up the parts on the Rubicon front axle parts and found that's its just a beefy D30. Is this true or someone just typing too much?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
The ring gear is the size of an original D44, but still different in other dimensions... Everything outside of the differential housing is still Dana30, meaning the knuckles and brakes etc.

If you are wanting a real D44, one from a mid-late 70's Ford 1/4ton or 1/2ton would be a good choice. They would need new brackets of course, and they will be a little wider than a stock TJ axle.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ring gear is the size of an original D44, but still different in other dimensions... Everything outside of the differential housing is still Dana30, meaning the knuckles and brakes etc.

If you are wanting a real D44, one from a mid-late 70's Ford 1/4ton or 1/2ton would be a good choice. They would need new brackets of course, and they will be a little wider than a stock TJ axle.
When why do they label it as a D44 if its not true? Is the rear a true 44 then?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
The rear is a true TJ Dana44. ;)

They label it as a D44 because it technically is. Because of the ring-gear and pinion size.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The Tj D44 isn't even all that much stronger then the D35 in the rear. Its certainly weaker then the ford 8.8. But the front has already been explained. What makes the Rubicon great is the 4:1 TC.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The Tj D44 isn't even all that much stronger then the D35 in the rear. Its certainly weaker then the ford 8.8. But the front has already been explained. What makes the Rubicon great is the 4:1 TC.
:confused: I thought (stock for stock) the TJ D44 not only had the larger ring gear than the D35, but also a stronger carrier and stronger axles. :confused: I've heard the tubes are the same, but with pretty much every other component stronger...that seems to be much stronger than the D35, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yes rear d44 has 30 spline axles larger carrier ring gear and no c clips. I got lucky and found some cromo shafts for cheap and I'll putt my d44 against a 8.8 any day. 8.8 does have c clips too.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Yes rear d44 has 30 spline axles larger carrier ring gear and no c clips. I got lucky and found some cromo shafts for cheap and I'll putt my d44 against a 8.8 any day. 8.8 does have c clips too.
I'm no fan of c-clips but one thing c-clips do not do is weaken the axle or axle shaft in any way. They just cause a problem if the axle shaft breaks by allowing the axle shaft to slide out, taking the tire and wheel with it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts