Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2000 tj. I'm debating if I wanna go to an 04-06 rubi or a Lj. What do you think?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wouldn't mess around! You will regret not getting LJ Rubi. LJ Rubi includes DANA 44s, air lockers, long WB with longer driveshaft (less angle), Disc brakes on 4 wheels, extra cargo room, rocker panels. Do it!

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rubicon06Va said:
I wouldn't mess around! You will regret not getting LJ Rubi. LJ Rubi includes DANA 44s, air lockers, long WB with longer driveshaft (less angle), Disc brakes on 4 wheels, extra cargo room, rocker panels. Do it!
I realllllllly want one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reg LJ has rear dana44, 4wheel disk brakes too, at least mine does ;)

But yes a LJ rubi would be the best of the best but super hard to find a good one (low miles) for sale. I lucked out on mine, 06 with only 11k on it when i bought it 3yrs ago. Has 44k on it now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Talk about being spoilt for choice. We never even got the Rubicon or the LJ, never mind the LJ Rubicon. The Rubicon only got to us with the JK range.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there a specific reason you want a LJ? More room for you? Would you be satisfied with the smaller space from a TJ? If you arent planning on wheeling and want some extra room the LJ would be great. If not a Rubicon will be a great starting point to get out on the trails. Like everyone else a LJ Rubicon would be most ideal, but they are pretty hard to find

·
Registered
442 Posts
If torn between just the two, i would opt for the rubi.
Youll already be riding on two strong axles with lockers. Unless of course you have the $$$ to upgrade the LJ with lockers. Then there is the lower transfer case low range the rubi has. I think this is really going to come down to which you prefer to drive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you can use the Rubi package components, and can afford the extra $$ a Rubi fetches, then I would go that route. Otherwise, find a clean, low mileage LJ, and add the components you would use.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
LJ Rubi FTW but im with mike if you can't find one then go with a low milage clean LJ and add what you like.. It isn't a easy choice though and im guessing thats what your dealing with.. a LJ vs TJ Rubi

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the LJ and love it. It will go through anything I reasonably throw at it. I'm not saying its a rock crawling machine, but being in florida we don't have much of that here anyway.The extra room for storage is a BIG plus for me, and honestly i probably wouldn't have even considered a jeep without this model. I guess it's more about what you intend to do with it. If you actually would put the lockers to use, go for the Rubi, otherwise the lj will most likely suit you just fine

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thecheezman said:
Is there a specific reason you want a LJ? More room for you? Would you be satisfied with the smaller space from a TJ? If you arent planning on wheeling and want some extra room the LJ would be great. If not a Rubicon will be a great starting point to get out on the trails. Like everyone else a LJ Rubicon would be most ideal, but they are pretty hard to find
I really like the look of the Lj and the extended space and towing is very appealing to me. But I do like moderate trail riding in snow and mud and the tcase and lockers would be nice. I have a tj now it's sufficient but Lj would be fantastic.

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
sloppywood said:
I have the LJ and love it. It will go through anything I reasonably throw at it. I'm not saying its a rock crawling machine, but being in florida we don't have much of that here anyway.The extra room for storage is a BIG plus for me, and honestly i probably wouldn't have even considered a jeep without this model. I guess it's more about what you intend to do with it. If you actually would put the lockers to use, go for the Rubi, otherwise the lj will most likely suit you just fine
I agree. The space would be nice.

How's the handling characteristics in the Lj to the tj? I've never ridden in one or drive one yet

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Mike if your debating between a LJ or TJ Rubi in the end you can't really go wrong either way.. The difference pretty much is the imediate bennifets each one brings

1 - 20 of 46 Posts