Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased a 06 rubicon and it looks to me a little taller than a stock tj.
The distance from ground surface to the door threshold or bottom of door is 26 inches. Has stock size tires and wouild like to know if this is the stock height of a Rubicon. I bought it from the second owner and he didn't know if it has a small lift. It also has a 9.5 warn winch that would have a small effect on height. There are no spring spacers under it .
TIA

·
Registered
451 Posts
The actual diameter of the original (pre-Kevlar) LT245R16 Goodyear MT/R's on the TJ Rubicon's was 30.7" on the Moab 16x8" rims. This was the largest factory tire ever shipped on a TJ model, the second largest was an optional 30x9.5R15 Goodyear Wrangler AT tire size upgrade on a Wrangler Sahara which had a real mounted diameter of 29.5".

There were a total of 6 different rear spring part numbers used on Wrangler models, and 9 front spring part numbers. The computer selected the exact springs for the factory build to establish the same exact center position for the suspension, based on the weight of the options on the build sheet. AFAIK, the two stiffest springs both front and rear were used only on Rubicon models, which were the only TJ's that exceeded 4500lbs dry weight (the door sticker on my 2003 Rubicon says 4535lbs).

So YES there is a ride height difference of about 0.6" minimum between a Rubicon and other Wrangler models, which is all tire size. If you take the heavy stock springs from a Rubicon and fit them to a lighter TJ, you might realize a small lift of less than 1". But you probably won't, because a modified TJ of any model probably exceeds that 4535lb figure after you have fitted bumpers and a winch, or skid plates underneath.

·
Registered
274 Posts
When I measured my stock rubicon before the lift, the distance from the ground to the bottom of the body behind the front wheel was 19" as a frame or reference

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I measured mine again at the given points in the referenced post and mine is 1 inch taller at every point. My tires are at 50% +/_ so I may be looking at 1½ all around.
I was actually wanting to try 32 inch tires but were hesitant but now think they may be fine.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
KaiserJeep said:
The actual diameter of the original (pre-Kevlar) LT245R16 Goodyear MT/R's on the TJ Rubicon's was 30.7" on the Moab 16x8" rims. This was the largest factory tire ever shipped on a TJ model, the second largest was an optional 30x9.5R15 Goodyear Wrangler AT tire size upgrade on a Wrangler Sahara which had a real mounted diameter of 29.5".

There were a total of 6 different rear spring part numbers used on Wrangler models, and 9 front spring part numbers. The computer selected the exact springs for the factory build to establish the same exact center position for the suspension, based on the weight of the options on the build sheet. AFAIK, the two stiffest springs both front and rear were used only on Rubicon models, which were the only TJ's that exceeded 4500lbs dry weight (the door sticker on my 2003 Rubicon says 4535lbs).

So YES there is a ride height difference of about 0.6" minimum between a Rubicon and other Wrangler models, which is all tire size. If you take the heavy stock springs from a Rubicon and fit them to a lighter TJ, you might realize a small lift of less than 1". But you probably won't, because a modified TJ of any model probably exceeds that 4535lb figure after you have fitted bumpers and a winch, or skid plates underneath.
Lj springs (non Rubi) had the highest spring rating. Just an alternative if you are looking to try something like this out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts