Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Rubi = 17" rim and 32" MT tire
Sahara = 18" rim and 32" AT tire

Rubi tires look more aggressive and are better for off-roading. Sahara tires are better for on pavement driving.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Springs may or may not be the same. There are no model specific springs. They are sized to the weight of the Jeep based on the option list. You need to check the last two digits of the part no tag that is on each spring to compare them. Higher number = stiffer spring.

Shocks utilize the same body and construction with different valving. Rubi shocks will have slightly better damping characteristics for off road use. And the Rubi shocks are red instead of black. All Wrangler shocks are made by Tenneco, who also owns Monroe and Rancho.

Mike

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know. So would a softer spring make it sag? I assume the Sahara has softer springs being more a road car base.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Good to know. So would a softer spring make it sag? I assume the Sahara has softer springs being more a road car base.
There is no ryhme or reason to springs. A Sport or Sahara could have stiffer springs than a Rubi.

From what the web has gathered, your best bet to get stiff springs is to get them from a 4 door, with a hard top. Probably a Rubi, and we think the tow package helps....maybe. But for some reason, spring rate seems to be almost random.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I assume the Sahara has softer springs being more a road car base.
This is not correct. There is no correlation between the model and the springs. It's based entirely on the option list. Hard tops, tow packages, etc add weight or increased capacity (towing) and require stronger springs.

The job of the spring is strictly to hold the Jeep up. Ideally you want as soft a spring as will hold the Jeep up with the target load rating. It's the shocks job to control the rate of the motion.

Mike

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So maybe it would be a good idea to get a slightly stiffer rear since at some point we will get at least 33x12.50? And hmm. It's a 4 door Sahara tow package hard top. got every single option I can think of stereo and everything. So id imagine she has a decently stiff spring.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Crawl under it and check the tag on the spring. My 4dr Sahara, hard top, tow package, leather, etc. has 59 series rear springs. 60 is the highest number, so I'm only one off and not worth changing.

If you are just looking for springs, I recommend the Poly Performance progressive springs. The 1" springs will give you about 2 inches of lift unless you add heavy steel bumpers and a winch.

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Suspension*::*Suspension & Lift Kits*::*Jeep Suspension Systems*::*2007-Current Jeep JK Wrangler Suspension Systems*::*Synergy Manufacturing*::*Synergy Jeep JK Rear Lift Coil Springs - 4X4 Off-Road Parts

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts