Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here in the JK section, been working on a '98 TJ and a 5.9l swap for a few months now and posting that in the TJ section.

But I just got a smoking deal on a '08 JKU Rubicon that I could not pass up and had to get it.

It's been hit in the front, hard enough to bend the frame. The bend is very obvious on the driver's side, not sure if it's bent on the pass side, but will have a body shop look it over and get the frame professionally straitened. I'll post some pics later.

Question right now is about the blinking sway bar light. I did some looking around and the consensus was the leaking electrical connector. I took off the connector and saw some of the terminals were corroded.
I removed the plunger/drive motor and saw the plastic electrical connector is also broken from the metal bar getting pushed into it. There's also plenty of goop and water that poured out of the housing. It is possible the bent frame is binding the sway bar, but the blinking light is a pre-wreck issue, possibly made worse by the wreck.

Now I'm thinking about going with the AEV's Procal module for the light and the EVO's manual disconnect. That's pretty much a done deal in my mind, unless someone can tell why not to go this route.

I'm wondering how I can tell if my sway bar is currently connected, or disconnected. Does it automatically connect with the motor removed? I have driven the Jeep and all I can say is that it doesn't feel right going down the road. Can I test some how if it's connected or not. I'm also thinking that the suspension, or steering might be affect by the hit, so need to rule things out as I proceed with repairs.

Also, can I just connect the drive motor while it's out to the electrical connector on the harness and see the plunger moves? (I'll try this anyway, just posting because I'm thinking about it.) Figure this will verify if the motor is working, or not.

Also, does anyone have the Procal module and what are do think about it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics.
My plan for the sway bar is to connect the removed actuator to the wiring harness to test the motor.
I will also disconnect the pass side sway bar link and see if it'll move. This is to see if it is stuck in the open, or locked position.
In either case I will remove, disassemble, clean and completely pack the entire disconnect assembly with marine grease in hopes of keeping water out which appears to be the main issue with failure on these. Not sure how this will play out when I go to do it, but that's the plan for now. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't consider the possibility of the bar being bent, but it's entirely possible. I can see the bar is tweaked in the bushings, but thought that was because of the bent frame. We shall see.

Also, the airbags did not deploys on a hit like this. What's up with that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I used the AEV Procal to disable the light and replaced the swaybar with a standard one on my '14 JKUR-X. The connector was wet and completely corroded. I use JKS quick disconnects now.

·
Registered
705 Posts
That is a very hard hit, seen that at gas stations hitting the steel barrier poles. While I have seen hard hits and no air bag deployments, might be worth checking out them before much use, they do save lives

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All very good suggestions. I will be getting the airbags checked before too much driving.

I took apart the actuator and lubed it up and it's now working. The electrical connector is broken, but for now the sway bar light is off. I will go the manual disconnect and Procal route.
Also, I took off the pass side link and the bar is stuck in the locked position, so it's good for now till I can get the other parts needed.
Thanks All.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a very hard hit, seen that at gas stations hitting the steel barrier poles. While I have seen hard hits and no air bag deployments, might be worth checking out them before much use, they do save lives
Couldn't agree more with that. As an EMT, I've seen plenty of people walk away from high speed, multiple rollovers if they were wearing a seat belt and I've seen people ejected and die from what appears to be a pretty minor accident. All because they were not wearing a belt.

This vehicle hit a tree, unknown speed.

I will not start to drive any vehicle unless everyone in it is belted in and kids' belts tug checked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts