Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the front need 2.7 pints (1.35 quarts) and the rear, 4.75 pints (2.375 quarts).

I would think the capacities should be the same, what am I missing?

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Why does the front need 2.7 pints (1.35 quarts) and the rear, 4.75 pints (2.375 quarts).

I would think the capacities should be the same, what am I missing?
You're not missing anything, they have different capacities. Squirt it in the Fill hole until it runs out. Button her up and go about your business.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The front has seals before the axle tubes, the rear does not and the oil has to run into the tubes and oil the wheel bearings.

Front diff running low on fluid not so bad rear running low not so good.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I just filled both 44's with 3 quarts. They have drained a few days and covers removed and cleaned and wiped out the diff. If I run them then top off again I might get another quart in the two of them total. Although the covers are the same the rear cover has the fill hole higher on the cover. Mobile 1 full syn 75-140 is expensive at $20 a quart.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I have the factory diff covers. Saving the money for the lift. The factory covers run cooler than the 1/4 inch thick ones do.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the factory diff covers. Saving the money for the lift. The factory covers run cooler than the 1/4 inch thick ones do.
Huh?

I'd guess any heat retention in the gear oil between the thin factory covers vs thick steel or cast covers would be negligible if any.

I am fairly certain a thick cover with gear oil will run much cooler than a thin factory cover that has been peeled back and lost gear oil.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Be careful with after market diff covers that claim they have the fill hole at the right spot. One is Poison Spider. They claim their new cover has the fill hole at the correct spot, but thats incorrect when installed on the front diff. Like mentioned above there is a difference between the front and rear Dana 44 diff covers. There is only one version of the PS cover.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Just being funny,,, I have no idea if the factory covers shed more heat. But I bet there are more jeeps out there with factory covers than all the aftermarket ones. But I really do like the aftermarket bright red ARB covers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts