Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rubicon and do quite a bit of wheeling.

I'm doing all of the maintenance on my Jeep I can so I know all about them, i realize changing differential fluid is no big whoop but I was confused on what type of oil to use. The manual says SAE 80W-90 then it talks about some additive in the back if you have TRAC-LOK, whatever the heck that it. Also, for the rear it says to use 75W-140 if your towing which I don't but wonder if wheeling might come into play there.

I am not going to take the cover off, just drain and fill. Can somebody that has a JK Rubicon chime in, I don't want to put the wrong crap in. I'm thinking synthetics but don't have to, like I said do quite a bit of wheeling and had the lockers in all weekend at the Badlands.

What weights of oil do you Rubicon guys use and brands, and do you use the same weight in the front and back, and do you add any "slip-differential" type additives?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The additive is for trac-loc(limited slip) diffs, you do not have that so you do not need the additive.
I do not have a Rubicon but I do have the d44 and run the 75w/140.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Track lok is the limited slip offered by jeep. Someone may correct me but I don't believe you need LSD additive. I tow so I can't help you with your other question.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,803 Posts
In my Rubicon, I use Lucas 75W90 synthetic in both the front and rear.
If you plan on towing, then use 75W140 in the rear, per your owners manual.
Even if you don't tow, you can still use 75W140 in the rear, but it is not required. It is a choice.

With your Rubicon diff Lockers, the additive is not required. But most diff oils of today, already have the additive in there oil. The additive already in most oils is also O.K., to use with the Rubicon lockers, but it's not required.

The Lucas 75W90 synthetic that I use, does have the additive already in it.

I went with Lucas, because that is what my local parts store carries. Any major brand, will be fine to use.......:thumb:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys really Torque the fill/drain plugs down or just hand tighten them really well? You guys are great by the way

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,803 Posts
Do you guys really Torque the fill/drain plugs down or just hand tighten them really well? You guys are great by the way
^^^I put some of the white plumbers tape on them, and then torque both plugs to 25 lbs........:thumb:

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
In my Rubicon, I use Lucas 75W90 synthetic in both the front and rear.
If you plan on towing, then use 75W140 in the rear, per your owners manual.
Even if you don't tow, you can still use 75W140 in the rear, but it is not required. It is a choice.

With your Rubicon diff Lockers, the additive is not required. But most diff oils of today, already have the additive in there oil. The additive already in most oils is also O.K., to use with the Rubicon lockers, but it's not required.

The Lucas 75W90 synthetic that I use, does have the additive already in it.

I went with Lucas, because that is what my local parts store carries. Any major brand, will be fine to use.......:thumb:
This. I use synthetic 75W140 in the rear of my Rubicon even though I don't tow. I use 75W90 in the front. The synthetic I use does have the additive, but it doesn't matter in an open dif. Since you have an 07 and do a lot of wheeling you might want to consider removing the cover, inspect the gears and clean everything with Brake-Kleen. I like using Lubelocker gaskets when closing everything back up. It's up to you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This. I use synthetic 75W140 in the rear of my Rubicon even though I don't tow. I use 75W90 in the front. The synthetic I use does have the additive, but it doesn't matter in an open dif. Since you have an 07 and do a lot of wheeling you might want to consider removing the cover, inspect the gears and clean everything with Brake-Kleen. I like using Lubelocker gaskets when closing everything back up. It's up to you.
Thanks everyone, got it done tonight, changed both of them. I used the MaxGear Purple Synthetic, 75W140 in the rear and 75x90 in the front. Since I didn't take the covers off the back took about 2 quarts and front just over a quart, I was on a flat surface when it started pouring out so I know they're full. I think it needed it. Might be overkill, but about every 15k I'm changing them, possibly less. I think with a lot of wheeling this is is really needed.

Next project is lengthening my breather hoses ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts