Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Rubicon and I know the E-lockers and sway bar disconnect only work in 4-low. The only problem I have with this is 4-low in the rubicon is super low with the 4:1 transfer case.

I'd like to be able to lock the rear locker in 4-high. Does anyone know a way around the 4-low requirement?

I've spent the last couple days searching for an answer here, so I don't think this is a repost, but sorry if it is.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There is a way to bypass the low switch on the earlier model rubicons but I don't know if it works on the new ones. There is a reason for it-if you can drive in 4wd, then you don't need the lockers-you are going too fast for them. By having the safety 'interlock' to keep you in the low range, Jeep has prevented you from blowing an axle. I know, the low 4wd can be a pain on the trails...but if you aren't in low and switch to high, you end up riding your brakes and burning them out. (automatics, not stick) so don't 'ask for' an expensive axle job...learn to live with the safety features and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: what would you need lockers in 4hi-for???

I have a 2011 Rubicon and I know the E-lockers and sway bar disconnect only work in 4-low. The only problem I have with this is 4-low in the rubicon is super low with the 4:1 transfer case.

I'd like to be able to lock the rear locker in 4-high. Does anyone know a way around the 4-low requirement?

I've spent the last couple days searching for an answer here, so I don't think this is a repost, but sorry if it is.
There is a way to bypass the low switch on the earlier model rubicons but I don't know if it works on the new ones. There is a reason for it-if you can drive in 4wd, then you don't need the lockers-you are going too fast for them. By having the safety 'interlock' to keep you in the low range, Jeep has prevented you from blowing an axle. I know, the low 4wd can be a pain on the trails...but if you aren't in low and switch to high, you end up riding your brakes and burning them out. (automatics, not stick) so don't 'ask for' an expensive axle job...learn to live with the safety features and enjoy the ride!
Right-on, if you've gotta manual--use higher gears-if you've gotta auto, use "D"-it can stay in 4lo, unless you need to go 25/35 mph-then why would you need lockers-ask me how I know !!

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
...ask me how I know !!

OK, how do you know? :rofl:

While your explaining that, please educate me. I know you are a very experienced off-roader, while I only know locking diffs from tractors. I only lock the rear diff. if I am dead stuck w/ wheels spinning, and can't move. I'm kind of an idiot, so I do manage to get into that situation enough to know what a tremendous difference a locked rear diff makes!

So, in a Jeep, in snow or mud or deep sand, when do you lock your axles! Surely, not when making adequate progress in 4lo???

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Heh Heh, well I can't help much in MUD, cause I DON"T DOIT-unless it's between snow banks--

OK, how do you know? :rofl:

While your explaining that, please educate me. I know you are a very experienced off-roader, while I only know locking diffs from tractors. I only lock the rear diff. if I am dead stuck w/ wheels spinning, and can't move. I'm kind of an idiot, so I do manage to get into that situation enough to know what a tremendous difference a locked rear diff makes!

So, in a Jeep, in snow or mud or deep sand, when do you lock your axles! Surely, not when making adequate progress in 4lo???
My main use for lockers has been in DEEP SNOW/w low tire air pressure and less than 5mph and-

In climbing with shale/rocks. lotta time you'll have one or two wheels in the air and NEED traction on the ones that are planted-

When I'm towing my trailer off-road, there's times when I have to get outta 4hi, because the heat generated in the auto in quite high in 4hi, when off-road, so 4lo raises RPM and with constant Torque Converter lock-the heat is cut way down-

When inbetween rocky/hills I can goto "D" in 4lo and handle 10 mph easy-

If you've gotta manual, you've got 5 gears to play in 4lo-shouldn't be any trouble--remember that about 18mph is max !!

Usually the rear locker is all thats required, but now and then in shale, front is required-

I haven't used 4lo in my desert sand, cause 4hi is pretty much the answer, some times you'll need higher wheel/tire spin and 4lo wouldn't getit-

Course you have to have the right tires and be careful of tire/wheel spin--sometimes that can easily dig 4 holes !!

Kinda final-if you're driving on hiwys, in snow-4hi is OK on the straights, but dangerous on turns, so it takes a little experience--

A Limited Slip Diff (rear) and the JK/JKU ESP/ABS hyd systems can make up for a lotta "slip" areas-so a lotta times it's not such a good idea to "disable" the ESP sys--

It's a learning experience !!

Keepyerpowderdry

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I want to be able to lock the rear in 4hi is for mud. By the time you realize you need to lock up its too late. If I had the standard transfercase it wouldn't be an issue, but with the rubicon low range there just isn't enough gear in low range (I do have the 6spd)

I do know not a run with them on in a place that has traction if I need to turn etc.

I'm thinking about looking for a wiring diagram and seeing if I can install my own switch like a normal e-locker would have.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I guess there is one advantage to aftermarket lockers. I can lock anytime, even in 2 wd. Not that I would mind you. But I do use the locker every now and again in 4hi. It actually saves me from having to go into 4lo in certain situations. I mainly lock mine before hitting deep mud or up muddy inclines. Comes in handy on loose surface inclines and deep snow too.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
By the why, Superchips Flaspaq has an option to make it where you can use lockers in 4hi on a Rubi but isn't available for a 2011 yet. I would say it will be available soon though

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
I guess there is one advantage to aftermarket lockers. I can lock anytime, even in 2 wd. Not that I would mind you. But I do use the locker every now and again in 4hi. It actually saves me from having to go into 4lo in certain situations. I mainly lock mine before hitting deep mud or up muddy inclines. Comes in handy on loose surface inclines and deep snow too.
I like that setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
locker bypass

Yea, what he said!

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
By the why, Superchips Flaspaq has an option to make it where you can use lockers in 4hi on a Rubi but isn't available for a 2011 yet. I would say it will be available soon though
Two caveats to the above statement are that you must have the Flashpaq plugged in while using this feature and it will only allow you to lock the front OR the rear axle in 4-Hi, but not both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OP if you are good at wiring, it is quite simple, if you are willing to bypass the PCM with the elockers. All you have to do is to snip the pigtail going in to the diff,s and run a new line from a switch pod to the elocker pigtail.\
You will need to hook one hot and one ground. Put the switch in the hot one. Run a fused hot lead directly from the battery to the switch. Do one for each axle and voila!! Click-- you're locked up, click again-- you are unlocked. 2H, 4H, 4L, Neutral or whatever!!
PS. I have a NV 241 Command-trac transfer case for sale. 2.73:1 lo-range ratio:D-- It will bolt right in your rubi; Might even consider some kind of swap!! for your rock trac!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts