Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And what are your thoughts? Are you pleased? Ride quality? Install ease? Tips? Regrets?

Please don't fill the thread with comments on other lift brands. Want to keep this one specific and on topic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pretty much any leaf spring lift is a breeze. You'll need 2 floor jacks to power through it. I wouldn't know about Rubicon Express but my ome + crown shackles have made me fall in love with my jeep again (I almost traded it for a TJ just because of the ride). Rides undeniably better than that rough country stuff I had before. Ive heard the heavy duty Rubicon Express is good but nothing on standard duty.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
As I've mentioned before the 3 sets of re springs I've all had all ridden great... the 4" standard may not have ridden quite as well as the others but if not they were very close... they didn't hold up to being way over flexxed tho and I destroyed them....

I believe that the 2.5" standard duty would be great as long as you have your bump stops in place so the springs don't get over bent.....

I haven't seen anyone post here about running the 2.5 standard.... that said, I've never heard of anyone having any problem with any RE leaf springs other than my own issue w the 4" standard which was purely from my own abuse, beating em HARD without bump stops.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I installed what I believe is a 2.5 RE lift with 5/8 boomerang shackles. I say I believe it is. 2.5 lift because that is what I bought but my ride height increased by about 6 inches, over my flat stock springs, following the install.

The kit is easy to install. And the ride is great even though I still have a few issues. Like I dont have rear shocks installed because the upper mounts are missing. Also, i did not install the xcase drop because my mid frame section has rust.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I've mentioned before the 3 sets of re springs I've all had all ridden great... the 4" standard may not have ridden quite as well as the others but if not they were very close... they didn't hold up to being way over flexxed tho and I destroyed them....

I believe that the 2.5" standard duty would be great as long as you have your bump stops in place so the springs don't get over bent.....

I haven't seen anyone post here about running the 2.5 standard.... that said, I've never heard of anyone having any problem with any RE leaf springs other than my own issue w the 4" standard which was purely from my own abuse, beating em HARD without bump stops.
Thanks again for your feedback. Your previous post is what has led me in the direction and decision on the RE. My hope was to find someone running this set-up before I officially pull the trigger.

Especially since it doesn't appear that they offer the extreme duty 2.5 inch anymore, and only the standard.

Thank again!

·
Registered
322 Posts
The hardest part of the install is removing the old. I cut the bolts with a 6in wheel between the spring and the frame mount. The bushing smoked like crazy but the springs just dropped out. The rear shackle bolt was difficult to get out because it was installed from the inside and hits the gas tank.

The RE kit comes with everything including sway bar disconnects. The ones I got would not reach the stock mount location so I welded tabs on the axle.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Someone posted a youtube video of a rio grande getting the 2.5" r e lift. Im not sure if he's done a follow up video though. It's very detailed.

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just did this install on my ‘93 YJ. Went pretty smooth except for having to cut off several shackle bolts due to rust. I soaked every bolt that would be replaced with PB Blaster 2-3 times every couple of days and I can’t believe how many bolts were able to be removed because of it. Going to have the tab for the front sway bar disconnect welded on.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Something I'm curious about, Both spring packs are 5 leaf packs, Front and Back are actually the same spring. I would ask anyone who previously bought the "Heavy Duty" set still had the spec sheets to see just how different they are from the standard duty. RE is touting these as "So good that they don't need to produce the HD sets anymore."

I'm needing a set of rears down the road and for the money and the way I use my Jeep, RE is the way I plan on going. I know you only want to hear about actual experience, but My .02 is you're making a good choice

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
They weren't heavy duty, they were extreme duty... it wasn't about weight handling, it was about holding up to extreme abuse and hard flexing....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts