Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed this lift on a 2015 JKU sport. I bought the kit with the basic shocks . The kit comes with the high steer kit and drop brackets. This is my first Jeep build and I did the whole thing myself with a couple jackstands and a floorjack . I bought a quality step drill bit with the largest step being 7/8th to drill the knuckle for the high steer kit and just used cordless drill. Keeping the drill straight was easy with a step bit and it drilled easy. I measured the pinion angle with my phone on the pinion flange before I started and it was 2 degrees . I remeasured pinion angle after the lift was installed with upper control arms in the middle hole on the new drop down brackets and it was 2 degrees so I think my caster should be close. I measured both with tires on sitting in the same spot in my garage . The kit went on smooth with only a couple holes to drill . All brackets were heavy duty and bolted right on . My only complain on the whole kit is I feel the back shocks are too short. I called Rubicon Express and they said they were the right ones but they only had about an inch of drop out when installed. To me that is just not enough to let the suspension move up and down properly . I made up some shock extensions to fix this issue.
Today I took it out for a road test and am totally impressed with the way it drives and rides. Does it ride and drive like stock. No it doesn't . But I wasn't expecting it to. Going from stock street tires to 315/70r17 Duratracs is a big jump not only in the size of tire but the stiffness of the tire. So it has a stiffer ride and the wide tires are going to follow the road more . It does drive straight and you can let go of the steering at 70 and it tracks nice and straight. At 1099 shipped to my door I think this is a great kit for my needs .

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is likely the lift I'll be getting in the near future. I'm also planning to get smaller rims. (probably 16's, but entertaining the option of 15's) Does the high steer kit look like it will interfere with smaller rims? Also, it is my assumption that the high steer kit eliminates the need for a front adjustable track bar. Is that a correct assumption?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smaller wheels might hit drag link. Probably depends on offset . You don't need adjustable trackbar. I am really happy with this kit .

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
This is likely the lift I'll be getting in the near future. I'm also planning to get smaller rims. (probably 16's, but entertaining the option of 15's) Does the high steer kit look like it will interfere with smaller rims? Also, it is my assumption that the high steer kit eliminates the need for a front adjustable track bar. Is that a correct assumption?
The steering correction includes a front track bar bracket that typically eliminates the need for a front track bar. You can always add one later if you feel an adjustment is necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is a 16th from being perfect with the bracket they gave me . Make sure to tell them to send a 3" bump stop for the front if you are using high steer kit . Mine came with 2" so I called Rubicon Express and they sent them out. You don't need anything else with this kit. I took lot of measuments on stock jeep and checked once I lifted it and everything is perfect. Stock pinion angle was 2 degree and once lifted and the top CA in middle hole of the new drop brackets pinion angle was 2 degree. Today I moved the CA to the bottom hole and have 1 degree pinion angle witch should be around 5 degree caster . It drove great with 2 degree pinion angle but seemed to move around a little on back roads that are uneven. Some of that is the result of the big tires. I want to see if changing caster would help that and I think it did. I liked my driveshaft angle better with 2 degree pinion vs 1 degree but I don't have any vibration at all . I am going to run it this way for a few days and see how everything looks . I will say this kit drive straight and you can let go of the steering at any speed with no pulling .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine is a 16th from being perfect with the bracket they gave me . Make sure to tell them to send a 3" bump stop for the front if you are using high steer kit . Mine came with 2" so I called Rubicon Express and they sent them out. You don't need anything else with this kit. I took lot of measuments on stock jeep and checked once I lifted it and everything is perfect. Stock pinion angle was 2 degree and once lifted and the top CA in middle hole of the new drop brackets pinion angle was 2 degree. Today I moved the CA to the bottom hole and have 1 degree pinion angle witch should be around 5 degree caster . It drove great with 2 degree pinion angle but seemed to move around a little on back roads that are uneven. Some of that is the result of the big tires. I want to see if changing caster would help that and I think it did. I liked my driveshaft angle better with 2 degree pinion vs 1 degree but I don't have any vibration at all . I am going to run it this way for a few days and see how everything looks . I will say this kit drive straight and you can let go of the steering at any speed with no pulling .
Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to know!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also like to know how that agjustment worked. I just installed the Rubicon 3.5 kit on my 09 JKU. The alignment shop said the caster is at 3.5 deg. It feels a bit flighty to me and would like to lock it in better as some roads makes it hard to handle. Also I gained more that 3.5 inches with this lift and my rear is about an 1 higher than the front. Any ideas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts