Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Rubicon Express 3.5 lift? I am trying to figure out if its worth to buy and would it work with 37s..

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
I don't have one.
But it is a lower end lift. It is a fairly extensive lift, but still made with RE parts.
If you are trying to keep costs down I would go with a 2.5" lift of better quality.
And if you are trying to keep costs down I would stay with 35" tires. The additional costs that 37" tires bring to the party isn't cheap.
A 2.5" lift is a lot cheaper to do right than a 3.5" lift. And 35" tires are a lot cheaper to do right than 37" tires.
If you must have a 3.5" lift and / or 37's, be prepared to spend money to do it right or be prepared for a less than stellar outcome.
That said, I run around 3.5" - 4" of lift and 37" tires. But my lift is pretty high end, and I have spent a fair bit on other upgrades to the front axle and steering.

Which version are you looking at, and why not a nicer lift?
What are you using the Jeep for?

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
RE is a mid level quality product. They are designed for very heavy built Jeeps. If you are not fully loaded, they ride very stiff. Also, their "joints" on their control arms are one of the lower quality joints and need a lot of service and repair. To run 37's, even with a 3.5, you should run flat fenders to get full articulation (maybe you have them already?). Plus as mentioned above, it's pretty expensive with gearing, axle truss and gusset and eventually hydro assist steering, etc. But, if that's the direction you are going, look at JKS, Metalcloak, Rock Krawler, OME and even consider putting a package together on your own using a set of Core 4x4 control arms with a Teraflex 3" base system and their Falcon 3.1 shocks. Allen from @AOR can quote you a package deal on a set up like that and it would be very good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 37s on now with a 2.5 teraflex lift and a 1 inch spacer lift. But I feel like that set up doesn't give much clearance. I also have Adam's drives shafts and 4.88 hearing. 44 dynatrac front and G2 dana60 rear. I definitely dont want to go over 3.5 lift so I am looking for a kit that would be better for my jeep. I do moderate offroading but I would like to start light
20191217_162222.jpg
rock crawling soon. You can see the clearance I have on the pics I posted. Hopefully I posted them correctly.
20200203_141058.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have one.
But it is a lower end lift. It is a fairly extensive lift, but still made with RE parts.
If you are trying to keep costs down I would go with a 2.5" lift of better quality.
And if you are trying to keep costs down I would stay with 35" tires. The additional costs that 37" tires bring to the party isn't cheap.
A 2.5" lift is a lot cheaper to do right than a 3.5" lift. And 35" tires are a lot cheaper to do right than 37" tires.
If you must have a 3.5" lift and / or 37's, be prepared to spend money to do it right or be prepared for a less than stellar outcome.
That said, I run around 3.5" - 4" of lift and 37" tires. But my lift is pretty high end, and I have spent a fair bit on other upgrades to the front axle and steering.

Which version are you looking at, and why not a nicer lift?
What are you using the Jeep for?
After some research, I decided to go with a long arm kit. But damn they're expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.
Maybe this.
Rock Krawler JK35XFLA-4 X Factor Long Arm 3.5" System for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door which allows up to 38s with with flat or fenders..

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
After some research, I decided to go with a long arm kit. But damn they're expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.
Maybe this.
Rock Krawler JK35XFLA-4 X Factor Long Arm 3.5" System for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door which allows up to 38s with with flat or fenders..

That is a pretty extreme lift. How hard do you plan on using your Jeep?
I am not saying you don't need that lift, but that is a pretty hard core lift.
There is not as much advantage to a long arm lift on a JK / JKU vs older Jeep Wranglers, either. The JK / JKU is often refered to as a mid-length arm suspension stock, vs previous Wranglers with their short arm suspensions. Those older Wranglers gained a lot more from a long arm kit.
Again, how are you going to use your Jeep?
It sounds like you are building a pretty extreme Jeep.
Another option would be a MetalCloak 3.5" lift, they offer varying degrees of extreme.

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Maybe this.

Ok, now we have more info... So you are at 3.5 with 2.5 springs and a 1" spacer. But you don't want to go over 3.5. What is it about your current Teraflex set up that you don't like? Do you have all 8 adjustable control arms?

Jeep looks great and has about the right amount of fender clearance for a typical rock crawler. We use a lot more droop than up travel.

BTW, that first image just looks downright COLD!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most long arm kits on the market are poorly designed. The only real decent one is the Genright Elite kit but is is very expensive. I have installed RK lifts in the past and they are poorly designed and the quality is subject. I would not waste the money on that kit. RK also has had reports of the frame cracking where that upper third link mounts. They know about it and are choosing to keep it quiet. There is a thread on it on JKowners. Their brackets fit poorly and then there are the coil and joint issues they have had in the past. Recently had a customer that got some coils from them last month that had bad top wraps that would not let the coils sit in the upper perch. This results in a terrible bow in the coil. Don't get fooled by the photos on facebook and instagram. RK is a machine shop that makes a couple pieces of their kits and farms out the rest. They don't make their coils, brackets, or joints. Basically just the control arms and and other links. They will also give you the run around if you ever have a warrantee claim. First they will say it normal, then it will be installer error, then they will blame it on one of their sub contractors. Most have to go to the forums and start a tread on the issue before they will take care of it. There are better products out there. And you will not see the benefit from spending that much money on a long arm kit. Installing a long arm kit is also way different than a short arm, if you are paying for install you can easily see $2-3k in labor on top of the expensive kit. The long arm will also reduce your clearance if you are going to start rock crawling as the arms hang down lower than the short arm that will catch on rocks.

I am not sure why you would not just buy some 3.5" coils and a full set of control arms. Thats the just of the lift kit, everything else is just some brackets, adapters, and sway bar links. Have you done any steering upgrades? I would put some 3.5" metal cloak coils on as they are built for the extra weight of bumpers, armor, and a winch. They will give you maybe a inch of height over what you have now as Teraflex coils are known sag under weight. Metal Cloak make great arms and so does Synergy, Core4x4, Currie, and Clayton.

I would also be curious to see your shock and bump stop set up. Most every jeep I see in the shop is improperly set up there and the end user typically has less than factory travel in their suspension.

·
Registered
207 Posts
FK bearings makes the RK joint housings. RK simply put them together. They are not the company you think they are, and they pretend to be.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys. 1st, it was cold that day. Lol. 2nd, I feel like the teraflex kit looks like its sagging. That is why I am looking for another kit. I have the dv8 offroad hydraulic bump stop and fox racing 2.0 performance reservoir shocks.
I do have steering upgrades such as the STEER SMARTS YETI XD™ JK "NO DRILL" TOP MOUNT STEERING LINKAGE KIT, front adjustable track bar, RCV shafts, Red Neck Ram hydraulic steering (not my favorite) and a couple other mods. I do want to build a strong Jeep like I mentioned before, I would like to get into rock crawling soon.
20190610_114049.jpg
20190610_120254.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. 1st, it was cold that day. Lol. 2nd, I feel like the teraflex kit looks like its sagging. That is why I am looking for another kit. I have the dv8 offroad hydraulic bump stop and fox racing 2.0 performance reservoir shocks.
I do have steering upgrades such as the STEER SMARTS YETI XD™ JK "NO DRILL" TOP MOUNT STEERING LINKAGE KIT, front adjustable track bar, RCV shafts, Red Neck Ram hydraulic steering (not my favorite) and a couple other mods. I do want to build a strong Jeep like I mentioned before, I would like to get into rock crawling soon. View attachment 4418848 View attachment 4418851
What is your control arm situation? At this point, if you think it's sagging, that's all springs. You could add the Metalcloak 3.5 springs and a set of Core 4x4 Tier 4 control arms (if needed) and fix it right up. For the most part, brackets are brackets...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is your control arm situation? At this point, if you think it's sagging, that's all springs. You could add the Metalcloak 3.5 springs and a set of Core 4x4 Tier 4 control arms (if needed) and fix it right up. For the most part, brackets are brackets...
Its stock control arms. Is metal cloak that good?

·
Super Moderator
14,863 Posts
Its stock control arms. Is metal cloak that good?
Metalcloak is one of the top MFG's for sure. Matson makes great stuff. You have enough weight to make the MC springs work. Most people end up getting more lift than expected with MC springs.

But I would also consider a set of OME springs... They have a variety of rates available to handle any weight of Jeep. If you want to drill down on it a little, Call Dirk at DPG Offroad (316) 776-9900 and talk about the OME springs with him. I don't know anyone that has done more OME than he has. It's just a phone call and a great learning opportunity.

For the control arms, reach out to Allen from Allen's Offroad @AOR (530) 620-1100 and get a quote from him. The Tier 3 have a true Johnny Joint on the adjustable end and their own tapered flex poly joint on the fixed end. The Tier 4 arms have a Johnny Joint in both ends. No doubt you would love the Core 4x4 control arms too. I did Tier 3 on my JKU and looking at Tier 4 for my LJ.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't tell much from that photo since the bumps are not in it but if you are at ride height there it looks like your shocks are not sized right for your lift size. Whats the travel on the shocks and how much shaft is showing at ride height? How much space between the bump and the bump pad?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Metal cloak arms are some of the best out there and with the amount of corrosion you get the zinc plating and the maintence free joints would be a big plus.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Just so you can get an idea on 38’s with a 3.5 Metalcloak game changer lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
I run the Rubicon Express 4.5" Super Flex short arm kit and Cooper STP Pro 37 13.5 r 17s, cut factory fenders, Adms driveshafts...... This setup works great for me here in Colorado. I decided to go with the short arm kit because the long arm kit longer arms are more likely to get beat up on the rocks. Had I decided to go bigger on the lift then I would have done a long arm kit. Mine articulates better than 2 other friends with 4.5" short arm kits (not super flex)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts