Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, So yesterday i just purchased myself a Rubicon Express 4.5 inch Superflex lift kit. I bought it as a kit including the SYE and Tom Woods Driveshaft. So i was wondering if anyone would be able to put in their 2 cents about this kit. like, where did you guys order this from (i got a great deal from 4x4groupbuy.com. it only cost me $2100) did you have any problems installing, is this really a complete kit. Just trying to start up a discussion about this.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I ran an RE 4.5 Superflex short arm kit on my XJ for years and loved it. The only thing that had a short life span was the front trackbar heim joint end, so I upgraded that to the extreme duty version, with the Superflex joint/double shear drop bracket and drop pitman arm. I also upgraded to JKS Quicker Discos and Rancho RS9000 shocks when I ordered the lift. Never had a single issue with it after swapping out the track bar, so when I bought the LJ Rubicon, I bought the TJ/LJ version of the same lift with extreme duty front track bar and the adustable rear track bar and bracket. I also upgraded the shocks to Bilstein 5100's and the disconnects to JKS quicker discos. I also added Teraflex rear shock relocation brackets to keep my rear shock bodies from being damaged by the rear lower spring perches at full droop.

I was disappointed with the newer lift kit for the LJ because RE had changed the rubber bushing design on one end of the control arms away from the Clevite style bushings to these cheaper hour glass shaped ones that were poorly supported and constantly failed and had to be replaced on my rig about every 5k miles. Last summer I finally swapped out the control arms to Rokmen arms and now I am again happy with what remains from the original RE lift kit.
Since I have a Rubicon I didn't need the SYE and I went with a long travel Tom Woods double cardian driveshaft.
I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that if you flex out your rig a lot offroad, you will have to replace your rubber control arm bushings frequently. The good news is that RE warrants them and they are relatively easy to replace. You also might want to not install the front track bar and see if they will take it back or swap it for their rear adjustable track bar and bracket and go with a better front track bar from Currie JKS or Metal Cloak, otherwise you'll be replacing the front heim joint in a few thousand miles and the track bar will likely make contact with your front diff cover. My RE rear track bar has held up fine.

One thing I noticed was that the extended length brake hoses included with the 4.5 inch kit were too short on the front of my rig. I recently measured them and found them to be only 20 inches long. They really need to be 22 inches long at full droop with the wheels turned to full lock, so I had to slightly bend and move my brake hard lines down to the bottom of the frame to give them about 2 inches of extra length.

I used to be a huge RE fan but I'm sorry to say that because of my experience with their control arm bushings ( and front track bar), I wouldn't buy the RE kit again and instead would buy a Currie 4 inch kit or may even try the Metal Cloak kit. I think they are all about the same price.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
I know the control arm bushing has been beat to death. Since RE was bought out by Transamerica the bushing issue has been fixed.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My last two sets of bushings that failed were the "fixed ones". Slightly better quailty control on the rubber material doesn't fix a really poor design. The Clevite bushings they used to use lasted for the life of my vehicle. I will never understand why they haven't gone back to that design.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i finally installed my Rubicon Express 4.5 in Superflex lift on saturday and all is well so far. The only problem i have had recently is my banks cat back exhaust system comes in contact with my rear trac bar. I had to remove my exhaust from the muffler back just to be able to run it. let me know of any suggestions you have with the exhaust. I love the sound of the full banks system and my TJ is just a little too loud now. I am also worried about how the exhaust kinda dumps on the fuel tank skid plate.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So i finally installed my Rubicon Express 4.5 in Superflex lift on saturday and all is well so far. The only problem i have had recently is my banks cat back exhaust system comes in contact with my rear trac bar. I had to remove my exhaust from the muffler back just to be able to run it. let me know of any suggestions you have with the exhaust. I love the sound of the full banks system and my TJ is just a little too loud now. I am also worried about how the exhaust kinda dumps on the fuel tank skid plate.
I have the same issue with my Banks exhaust ( different suspension set up) and after multiple attempts to fix it with ******* ingenuity and a BFH, my final solution is this: new exhaust when I get back stateside.

·
KMG 365
918 Posts
Just take to a reputable muffler shop and they should be able to fab the exhaust so everything will work properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts