Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase the front and rear bumpers from a rubicon hard rock and put them on my 2016 sport. Here's what I'm wondering, can the middle section that says "rubicon" be replaced with a blank? The dealer says the bumper comes with both but other dealers say it just comes with "rubicon" stamped in the middle. Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The front bumper comes with both. One says Rubicon, the other is for a front license plate. The back bumper just says Jeep.

edit- I just went and looked in my stack of spare parts and the blank one isn't smooth, it has the holes in it for the license plate to screw into.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thank you!! Do you know of any extra drilling is required for installation? Or do they fit using pre existing holes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just saw your edit- so would it look bad with the blank since it's not smooth? I won't have a front plate on there.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It wouldn't be my first choice. Personally, if I were going go that route, I would probably slap a novelty plate on there and call it good. Of course, if you add a winch, you ditch that piece anyway, because the fairlead goes through there.

Heres a picture of what we're talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I see. So does that go over the rubicon plate or does it replace it? I appreciate all of your help!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I am pretty sure that that plate holder part mounts over the top of the rubicon part. At least that was how it was done on mine.

Not sure how well you can see this, but.....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Okay, so i just went back out into the garage and took another look at whats in the bag and you are 100% correct. The license plate holder would just go on top of the Rubicon logo and screw into the plastic.

However, the plastic rubicon piece pops out and get tossed if you put a winch behind the bumper.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Okay, so i just went back out into the garage and took another look at whats in the bag and you are 100% correct. The license plate holder would just go on top of the Rubicon logo and screw into the plastic.

However, the plastic rubicon piece pops out and get tossed if you put a winch behind the bumper.
I am still pissed off at the idiot at the dealership that installed that plate holder. I did not special order this Jeep for them to put screw holes in it like that...... but that is another story.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I am still pissed off at the idiot at the dealership that installed that plate holder. I did not special order this Jeep for them to put screw holes in it like that...... but that is another story.
With you on this...supposedly my "reminder" stopped the tech with drill in hand, seconds away from drilling my front bumper!

Side note to the OP's question (I'm in the same boat and don't run a front plate - will be adding the HR front soon) - I'll suppose I'll just rock the rubicon - BUT, wonder what the 75th anniversary bumper comes with???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. So basically it sounds like the dealer lied by saying there was a replacement "blank" for the "rubicon" piece. I guess they just really wanted to sell a bumper that bad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know where you are located, but there is an ad in the classified section of this forum with someone selling his Hard Rock bumper with skid plate and fog lights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just thought of something- if I order the front and rear bumper, do they come with the red tow hooks or can I use my black ones?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I picked these up from moparonlineparts.

10AREARHOOKKIT (red 10a rear tow hook kit)
Ditto! Hope to have it this week so I can get the bumper installed. I have the factory hitch so it looks like I have to do some grinding in order to use the hitch with the HR bumper.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Ditto! Hope to have it this week so I can get the bumper installed. I have the factory hitch so it looks like I have to do some grinding in order to use the hitch with the HR bumper.
If you have an impact and the correct size socket it will knock the nuts off of the receiver macht schnell.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts