Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wonder who ripped off the design of the Rubicon wheels, Jeep or Subaru? They are way too similar to be a coincidence. Thought I would post this since I have not seen any talk of this before. Funny, I think the Subaru wheel is a better fit than the Rubicon wheel as it stays true to the Jeep 5 spoke design of previous years. The Rubicon design reminds me more of the 1970's GM wheel design.

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
When you include just the image of the wheel like that without seeing the vehicle, my impression is that the Jeep wheel looks more like it should be on a Subaru and the Subaru wheel on a Jeep. The Jeep wheel just doesn't look tough enough. It looks car like. It almost looks like a hubcap. Overall, I don't like either of them.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Hey....don't leave out those sweet 1978 Cutless Surpreme wheels!

But honestly, the Rubi wheels are not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I mentioned it weeks (months?) ago when the pics of the '13 wheels were leaking.

Pretty sure Subaru was first....

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
there's not much you can do with a wheel that hasn't been done before. rubi wheel looks better than the subi wheel :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think subaru should be mentioned in the same text as jeep.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope you guys don't think I am disrespecting the Rubi, I just find it odd that two different auto manufacturers would introduce such an unique wheel design almost identical to each other for the same model year. Too bad the Subaru wheel is 5x100 and the Jeep is 5x127. That would have been fun to see some switching around. :D

·
Registered
892 Posts
The only good factory wheels for 2013 are the Sport S wheels. The rest are plain ugly.

·
Super Moderator
23,783 Posts
Those wheels look nothing alike. One has spokes and the other doesnt.
At least I am glad I am not crazy as I was thinking they don't look alike either. I like the new rubi rims a million times better then the steel rims that came on my 2013 sport lol.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yeah wheel trends usually follow industry wide, not just brand specific. I have seen those Subi wheels and wheels from some other car (can't remember) that have that have the same new "flat machined" look extending in from the rim. Other than that part, they don't really look very much alike. I'll bet if you type in something like "silver 5 spoke wheel" into an image search you will see some wheels that actually look nearly identical to the old rubicon wheels.

·
Registered
99 Posts
While I saw the resemblance prior to purchase, I wasn't crazy about the Subaru Wheels on the XV. I think the XV is a cool vehicle to tool around in though. As for the Rubicon wheels - while a set of Hutchinson beadlocks would be great, I really liked the 2013 Rubi wheels once I saw them in person.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, I saw a Suby a couple of weeks ago and had to do a double take. I even mentioned it to my wife, I thought I was crazy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I like these wheels but people who are selling them seem to think they are worth double the amount of the old wheels. FALSE. I will wait for reality to sink in before I buy a set on CL.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nomad_K said:
While I saw the resemblance prior to purchase, I wasn't crazy about the Subaru Wheels on the XV. I think the XV is a cool vehicle to tool around in though. As for the Rubicon wheels - while a set of Hutchinson beadlocks would be great, I really liked the 2013 Rubi wheels once I saw them in person.
I think when I first saw them in pictures I thought they were very different from what Jeep normally puts out. But when you see them in person it makes such a difference. I think old Rubi wheels were starting to look dated and were very similar to sport and Sahara wheels. Now there is obvious difference.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep wrangler Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.